Thread: Just finished Driver's school in my Capri

Default Just finished Driver's school in my Capri

partially prompted by TrueBlue's post, I'll share my experiences this weekend at Infinion Raceway, formerly known as Sears Point.

I've historically had problems at Sears Point with my Capri, since my Capri oversteers enough to really slow me down. The track has 2 sections with esses and it is difficult to have the rear end hanging out in a corner only having to turn the opposite direction following through the back to back turns.

I recently rebuilt my cars engine and suspension and I'm now running BFG R1 tires. I think I finally got the feel of the tires and they now grip great. I lowered the rears to 22psi hot (I don't think I can go any lower) and the car finally began to understeer. I lowered the fronts to the high 20s and the car seems very well balanced now. I'm really starting to like these R1s.

The new motor seems broken in and I'm regularly revving it to 6500rpm. I'm holding back, I expect that it'll pull to 7000rpm and perhaps a wee bit more but the motor won't see that until a race. The power is there and I'm staying with Pro 7 and Mazda Miatas in the straights. I also diced with a USTCC Honda Civic and we were dead even. It has a 140hp motor with a 2300lb car which is comparable my Capri.

I couldn't get my G-Tech device to work properly so I wasn't able to get any useable HP figures. I have a couple of EGTs on cylinders 3 and 4 and the EGT were getting a little high at 1450 (cylinder 4) and 1550+ (cylinder 3) down the main straight. The carburation may be a little too lean so I'll probably get some dyno time to fine tune the motor to squeeze out a few more ponies.

I've got a few tasks before the 1st regional in April. New master cylinder, air dam, adjust valved, dyno, carb mixture, new air cleaner, check every bolt for tightness, etc.

Looking forward to 2003!

Joe Craven
    ITB Capri

Good going Joe. Don't get too used to those R-1 (s) since that tire is no longer manufactured (and hasn't been for a few years). Experiment with a Kuhmo or Hoosiers if you can afford them.

Cheers.

Congrats on finishing drivers school! It is a great feeling!

Thanks. I recently bought 16 NOS BFG R1s since I heard that they wear very fast. These tires seem to be holding up better than Kumhos so I think I have enough tires for 3 years!

Joe Craven
    ITB Capri

i know its off the subject but just out of curiosity are you the joe craven
    that plays percussion with the david grisman quintet