I'm hoping to make the move from autox to road racing and after attending several MARRS events at Summit Point, feel that ITB is for me. I own a 2001 GT and a 2001 F150 SuperCrew, and I'm a Ford fanatic, so its a ITB Mustang or nothing. Ultimate goal is to simply finish the 12 Hours at the Point with some family and friends.

I've read through previous posts and it seems that overwhelming opinion is to buy a pre-built race car. But I don't have a trailer right now or any room for a trailer at my place, so moving a non-streetable almost-ITB Mustang (needs to be brought up to spec in several ways) that I've located could prove challenging initially and on a recurring basis.

Meanwhile, I've got a line on a local 86 4-banger pony for $450 that needs a little work but has a current inspection, but I would need to build for ITB from scratch. I'm not opposed to taking two winters to get this done, and I can afford either route.

So, do I scrounge up a trailer and go get the almost-ITB 'stang to bring back to keep in the garage, and work on it as I figure out some sort of towing option? Or do I pick up the cheap pony and start bringing it up to ITB specs, with the bonus of being able to move it to and fro on demand? That cheap street legal Mustang is appealing just for the fact that I could drive it to the guys that might be working on it (I'm no mechanic). But I need to know if going with a pre-owned race car is cost-saving / important enough to negate considering the do-it-yourself while-you-drive-it route.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,

Don

[This message has been edited by baileydl (edited August 19, 2002).]