Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: ARRC 2005

100!

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

Man that Maser looks the business in black!!!!! (It's not so impressive in white)

I'm with you Jenifer!

Closed cockpits are better for caped crusaders, as the cape always gets sucked into the madated air inlet when driving open cockpit crime fighters..

"One day" (as opposed to series decided)National Championships are very common and very legitimate in many forms of sport. Swimming for one. You qualify for the meet during the season at local meets, swim in "trials" in the AM, then swim "finals" at night. You win, you are the man. If not, wait until next year.

I would love to have a central site, and a more legit title of "National Champion" than currently exists, but the Atlata flks have a killer track (better bring every last HP!), and they do teardowns which help (but are not the absolute last say) credibility.

To create a true National Championship for IT would have to exclude certain cars from the race due to lack ofconsistant documentation.

The ARRC is a great event, and the best way to improve it would be keep doing what they're doing! I wouldn't complain about more intensive teardows, and a tow fund is a cool idea, but it might come at the expense of some lost entries.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited May 25, 2005).]

Wow, what an interesting conversation. I guess I'll add my $.02....

I've been to 4 ARRC's now and last year was my first time I actually raced in the event myself. It was my first year in ITA and I was already amazed by the level of competition and great driver/car combo's in ITA in the CenDiv. The three previous years I crewed and spectated for others at the ARRC and even though I wasn't even racing myself, I thought it was the greatest event I attended every year. The people, the cars, the drivers, the prestige, the competition, everything is a cut above the rest. IT'S NOT YOUR AVERAGE REGIONAL! Then for last year I got to show up with my own ride and was honestly way more excited/nervous/awstruck/whatever than I've ever been at any event. After reading the entry list I said "Damn....this is gonna be tough." I was more than thrilled with my performance and I only finished 7th. After being in that race and knowing how hard I had to drive and how perfect my car needed to be just to get 7th, you bet your ass I consider Anthony the reigning ITA national champion.

Is it an official National Championship? No. The only authority on that is our good friends in Topeka; not us bickering about it on the internet. They've made it quite clear that IT is never (or at least anytime soon) going to have an officially recognized National Championship. But I can't blame them - having a national championship for classes that don't guarantee the competitiveness of each car is an oxymoron. So what are we to do? Well, do it on our own and hold an event that's held above all the rest of them. Lucky for us, that's exactly what we have. Wether or not you want to walk up to the ARRC winner and say "Congrats on the national championship." or "Congrats on the ARRC Championship." doesn't make a lick of difference to me. Personally, I take them to mean the same thing.

As for moving the event around, I wouldn't mind if it happened every 5 years or so. As someone else said, you can't feasibly move it every year. Way too much work is needed to set it all up and build up a fan base to just go and move it every year. I'd go damn near anywhere for this event. But if you guys are serious, I'd love to see it come into my backyard at Mid Ohio.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

I would put in my $.02, but I'm a little short, so here's a penny.

I have participated at the ARRC for the past 3 years in CFC. That's Club Formula Continental for those who don't know or care about the open wheel set. CFC, like a few other classes (SPO, SPU, IT7, FS, etc.), is a divisional class and like IT does not have a race to determine the national champ.

Until there is such an event held for that purpose (don’t hold your breath) I think it's safe to say that most of us consider the ARRC to be the catch all race to determine the national champion. If you are so inclined you can compete with others that, in general, feel the same way. Also, on behalf of myself and the rest of the Atlanta Region, we hope you do.

If you choose not to participate that is your prerogative but it is not fair to belittle the first class event that the ARRC has become or anyone who wins it and claims to be the national champ. The way I look at it you can either embrace it as your own or reject it and have nothing. I prefer that someone in my class can call themselves “The CFC National Champion”. Hopefully, one day I can make the same claim in IT? or SPO.

------------------
    Tom Sprecher
    Team SuperTech

Another thing about the ARRC to go along with the media coverage, the extra competition, and the atmosphere is the contingencies. I walked away from last years weekend with 5 Hoosiers, 4 Koni rebuilds, and a free wheel repair. And there was more stuff available that I didn't sign up for.

I figure I bagged about $1000 worth of awards. Certainly nothing to sneeze at and certainly far better than an average regional or even national weekend.

"National Champ?" I got no problem calling the ARRC winner this because nothing out there even comes close for regional racers. More than one World Challenge ride has been scored on the heels of an ARRC win and there are businesses out there who proudly display an ARRC win as evidence that they know what they are doing. Its as close to the Runoffs as we lowly IT drivers are going to get, so lets embrace it instead of arguing semantics.

For the last 3 cents and a free comment, I thank you. You have my blessings to continue enjoying the ARRC for whatever reason you want and for whatever you want to call yourselves at the end of the race. Each of you is entitled to at least one bowl of jambalaya, gumbo, or venison sauce picant...more if you wish, but you'd better get to the skid pad early...and plan to have a good time.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">...so lets embrace it instead of arguing semantics.</font>
    Amen, brother Giles.

GregA, who's paddocking next to Scottso this year 'cause I know how to eat Cajun and I know I'm gonna be hungry, sha.

i know i have one side covered!!

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Where were you guys last year? Had we known, we would have made the rounds and met everyone!

This year (2005), we should find a way to at least know where everyone is, if not paddock near everyone. Gregg Baker (of Isaac) keeps mentioning the IT Party RV, so we would all have a central place to meet and eat, should we choose to do that.

And, I can say that I ate the best at the ARRC, as long as I wasn't having lunch at the track grill. Jarrod and his group know how to make some Fantastic brisket and I can't wait to go back! I'm constantly trying new recipes so I can have something to bring to the party!

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Each of you is entitled to at least one bowl of jambalaya, gumbo, or venison sauce picant...more if you wish, but you'd better get to the skid pad early...and plan to have a good time.
    [/B]
    I was parked right smack in the middle of the skid pad last year - inbetween OPM and Stretch. Why was I not informed?

weak...

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Because you're a big fat guy, and being a big fat guy myself I'm smart enough to not point you towards the Cajun Kettle. What, you think I stoopid or sumthin'.

My usual paddock spot at RA is on the tech shed side of the skid pad. Usually next to Rebstock and Forrest Heath and across from OPM. I guess we gotta wiggle Amy's ass in there this year as well .

Scott, who knows where the "other" ARRC cajun party is located, and will share with you if you're nice to me.

Be careful who you share that info with there Giles!

For example, Ruck is a big guy, and I was a bit worried he was going to want to get involved in the various wrestling matches that were going on and pay me back for edging him out in the race last year!

Fortunately, he was pretty passive....

For example, Ruck is a big guy, and I was a bit worried he was going to want to get involved in the various wrestling matches that were going on and pay me back for edging him out in the race last year!

Fortunately, he was pretty passive....[/B]
    Haha, well it was only my first year there so I couldn't do anything too stupid. This year on the other hand, we'll have to see. I had a lot of fun at the Saturday night party in the woods last year though, that's for sure. Definately looking forward to it again.

I'm working on that "big fat guy" thing so hopefully I won't be giving up 80lbs to the rest of the ITA cars this year.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Let the trash talkin' begin...

G

Scott, Don't know if Forrest will be there this year. He tore his car up real bad at Memphis when a Specc Pinata spun up the track into him. He wasn't hurt, but between the Miata and the wrecker crew, the car was pretty well torn up. I haven't decided whether or not to run the enduro in my car, though. It will depend on how I do in July. If not, then there will be room for another victim of the iron pot next to us.
    The key to a full tummy at the ARRC is to get there before the Hoosier guys do...especially on Saturday night.
    As far as the other Cajun food party goes, I know where it is, too, and I ain't talkin'!

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Originally posted by charrbq:
    ...As far as the other Cajun food party goes, I know where it is, too, and I ain't talkin'!
    Ditto!

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Planet 6 saturn you were almost next to us...

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

I'm a little late to this thread, but let me make my contribution with some videos from the '03 and '04 ARRCs.

ARRC '03. Car is an ITA CRX. These clips show only a little bit from the good racing we had in the 4 car battle for the lead that lasted the whole race. It’s too bad Bob S. DNFed that year. It would have been interesting to see if we could have stayed with him.
    Start03
    ARRC03-1
    ARRC03-2
    ARRC04-2

ARRC '04. Car is an ITA Integra. These are much less exciting. The car was new and suffered from brake and transmission problems that weekend. They got much worse in the race (both are visible in the second clip.)
    Start04
    LastLap04

Can't wait for this year! We are hungry for a good result, the car is faster than last year and we'll definitely be on our best game come November. Now I'll the trash talking continue.

------------------
    Alex
    #90 ITA

Awesome videos, Alex. That '03 ITA race at the ARRC is still one of the greatest races I have ever seen. I was standing up on the hill at turn 5 watching from there. That race was a really big reason why I started building an ITA car two months later.

I'm still pissed that my in car camera crapped on me after only about 5 laps during last years ITA race.

------------------
    Kevin
    Ruck Racing
    '92 ITA Acura Integra RS
    '92 ITC Honda Civic CX
    '85 ITC Honda Civic S
    '95 ITS Honda Prelude Si

Bill, we're much better at the brisket now....although it's tough to cook it well when we leave it unattended for about 8 hours and go to the Chateau.....

Jarrod