Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: ARRC 2005

From the 2004 ARRC Supps.

4. Driver Eligibility: Each driver must hold a current SCCA Competition License per the GCR. If you are a novice permit holder, you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License) with a Chief Steward’s signature on the inside back cover of your permit. Prior approval from the Chief Steward is required for Novice Permit holders. Please call Sue Roethel at 706-654-4740 for Novice Permit Approvals.
    Maybe it's changed for this year, but they way I read that, you can run the race on a Novice book.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

It says it right there in your post Bill...

you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License)

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 23, 2005).]

The Runoffs isn't a National. It's the National Championship Runoffs. There are things in the GCR and elsewhere that apply to the Runoffs that don't apply to a National. It's run to a very different set of rules than a National and that's not just the Supps.

Originally posted by RSTPerformance:
    The June sprints are not the biggest National of the year... This year as in every year past it will be the SCCA National Runoffs.

The only difference I see is that you need to qualify to get into the National Runoffs, but in reality... what class do you really need to qualify to get into??? Its not that hard, if you want to go you can pritty much go.

Raymond

Originally posted by Catch22:
    It says it right there in your post Bill...

you must have competed 2 races(equivalent to a Regional Competition License)

[This message has been edited by Catch22 (edited May 23, 2005).]

It also says that if you have a Novice Permit, you must get prior approval of the Chief Steward. Can you run it as one of your two probationary races? No, but if you've run the two probationary races, and get approval of the Chief Steward, you can run the ARRC on your Novice Book.

------------------
    SCCA 279608

Well, OK Bill, if you want to pluck nits you're doing a fine job.

Yes, if you have 2 races in your novice book you can get approval to run in the ARRC with that book. You can also mail that same book to Topeka and get a Regional License.

A Novice book with 2 races in it is only different from a regional license in that it won't fit in your wallet.

Pick Nits! I thought that was the purpose of this thread! National Championshis and Novice Permits! Cheese And Rice!

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Ha, I started this thread to see who is going for friendly conversation and to stir up the s#%t talkers!!! c'mon guys it is what it is lets just have fun and RACE!!!! The ARRC is the biggest (maybe not largest turnout...I mean on a published level) IT race we have to decide who is the best in the country. If you dont show up you are only the best in your area and your head. If you are the best National driver and dont show up to the Runoffs, well same applies even if you qualified. If you take IT seriously it should be planned for and run. Yes it is SE biased because of its location but every track in this country is going to be biased towards its neighboring regions and have locals that will kick butt. My car is a winner on the regional level (although underdeveloped) and i got my butt handed to me there...oh well you know i will be there this year to do better.
    Cheers!!!

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Spoken like someone who lives near RA rather than say, in Seattle.

Raise the entry fee for everyone by $500, use the revenues for a tow fund based on the distance traveled, and see if patterns of geographic participation change.

Or do something - anything, it doesn't matter what - so that the top-finishing cars in all divisional championships attend. That would lend some credibility to asprirations of national championshiphood.

Otherwise, it just isn't - regardless of how great the event is.

Maybe one needs to have been other places to get a sense of how big this country is to race in?

K

That is the reasoning keeping IT regional. If it was in Seattle or Cali or LRP or the Glen (or anywhere denoting it is the IT race of the year and have coverage to back it up) I would go...just omit some regional weekends from the schedule to afford it. ...The creds come with winning the ARRC. Serra has his IT car plastered in full page ads with his win there...there is a review of the race in GRM...Yes it is a big country, I have traveled it by car from east to west and north to south (born and raised in the boston area). That does not stop me from racing though...

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

oh and it is about a 12 to 14 hour tow there....

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Hmmm, maybe some of the S.E. racers will make the trip up to the NARRC - yes, another championship event.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Originally posted by zracre:
    That is the reasoning keeping IT regional. If it was in Seattle or Cali or LRP or the Glen (or anywhere denoting it is the IT race of the year and have coverage to back it up) I would go...just omit some regional weekends from the schedule to afford it. ...The creds come with winning the ARRC. Serra has his IT car plastered in full page ads with his win there...there is a review of the race in GRM...Yes it is a big country, I have traveled it by car from east to west and north to south (born and raised in the boston area). That does not stop me from racing though...

Hey, AutoWeek used to have a write-up on the Longest Day at Nelson (Note to self: dig out some of those old AW issues!).

This seems to be a case of "If you say something long enough, people will start to believe it."

------------------
    SCCA 279608

I think they event should be rotated around to several track from year to year. We will then see how many of the SE guys are willing to travel for a regional event. I also think the should there should be a tow fund for the top finisher in each division for each class: ITS, ITA,ITB and ITC. I think the ARRC should make easy for the division winners across the country to go. Make it so they would have a hard time justifing not going. Then it would be a greater event

"Hmmm, maybe some of the S.E. racers will make the trip up to the NARRC - yes, another championship event."

sure just remove the "N" isnt that a divisional race like the SARRC? If it had the creds like the ARRC id be there...im trying to plan a trip up to LRP this summer i just need to look at the schedules and get it planned...any other SE people wanna go?

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

[This message has been edited by zracre (edited May 24, 2005).]

Isn't this just semantics?

I mean the only people I have seen equate the ARRC with an IT National Championship have no association with the ARRC at all.

That said, NARRC/SARRC races are just divisional championships run at the end of the season. In the SARRC, you have to do a minimum number of races to qualify, and the event is a double points event (used to be triple) to really make things interesting. So I don't think just any out-of-division drivers can simply show up and race at the NARRC/SARRC weekend. The ARRC, in contrast, awards no points.

Part of me would like to see the ARRC (or any other similar event) get anywhere near the buildup and hype from Topeka that the Runoffs and June Sprints gets. If you were to rely soley on SCCA/Sportscar to provide you with information before and after the ARRC, you would be left wanting.

I did run the enduro portion of the ARRC back in 2000, and loved it. For me the atmosphere is elevated above a normal regional weekend. No points, leave-it-all-on-the-table, 2nd-place-is-the-first-loser kind of race weekend. No whining, just drive! I'm kidding about the "loser" part of course, because anyone who makes the podium at the ARRC, in my opinion, has definitely earned it.

The fact that it usually falls on my anniversary makes it hard to put on the schedule every year, but as I get the car finished, sorted, and reliable, I will definitely be back.

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

Excellent summary, Chris.

Of all the race events I go to I enjoy the ARRC the most because it is amateur racers in a knock-down, drag-out battle.

No cameras, no press releases, no sponsor posturing, no posing. When it's over, everyone knows who the big dogs are.

I grin for days, and I'm just a spectator.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Originally posted by Chris Wire:
    ...The fact that it usually falls on my anniversary makes it hard to put on the schedule every year, but as I get the car finished, sorted, and reliable, I will definitely be back.
    The solution is obvious, Chris: bring the bride. Even if she is not the racing type, you can bunk at the Chateau Elan and she can use the spa or golf while you hit the track.

Perfect.

G

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    The solution is obvious, Chris: bring the bride. Even if she is not the racing type, you can bunk at the Chateau Elan and she can use the spa or golf while you hit the track.

Perfect.

G
    And your wife will babysit the kids, right?

Perfect!!!

C

Moving the ARRC from track to track on a yearly basis is just plain anal. Not only do racers and teams have to plan schedules (most of us do have jobs), but the hosting track/regions will have a whale of a job to get ready, promote, and sponsor it. Not to mention the scheduling problem that would come with a traveling championsip of any name. The good people of Atlanta picked up the ball when the SCCA dropped it in '94. They gave IT some credibility after the Carl Haas directed BOD dumped on them and took the circus to Mid-Ohio. Mid-Ohio is a super track, but there was more going on there than was made public...or so I understand. When we (IT racers) had a chance to race for a championship of any sort at the same track that the Runoffs had been held for decades! Well, it was and is a no brainer.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Originally posted by Chris Wire:
    And your wife will babysit the kids, right?

Perfect!!!

C

Oops!

G