Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: ARRC 2005

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">What other sanctioning body crowns a champion based on the result of one race? </font>
    Uh, the SCCA Runoffs maybe?

Chris and I have advocated a "best of three" concept for awhile--west, central, and east. Pick your two. And if bad luck strikes, you make the decision (or not) to go to the third.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

"Gallactic Grand Master" has a nice ring to it.

Any single-event crowning is, unfortunatly, marred with doubt, it's just the nature of the beast.

G

Originally posted by GregAmy:
    Uh, the SCCA Runoffs maybe?
    Uh Greg, that's kinda what I was referring to. I don't really subscribe to the concept of a National Champion based on the results of one race.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

As long as we're making up titles...I shall henceforth be known as the "Dark Overlord of Speed". I've been looking for an excuse to break out the black cape and goat leggings at the races anyway

Originally posted by solaris:
    As long as we're making up titles...I shall henceforth be known as the "Dark Overlord of Speed". I've been looking for an excuse to break out the black cape and goat leggings at the races anyway
    Yes, m'Lord--and it should double well at tonight's Star Wars gig.

BTW m'Lord, is this what you look like in a Cobra?

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

Call the winner "Gloria" for all I care. It's a freaking awesome weekend at a great track.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Roswell, GA

Originally posted by gsbaker:
    Yes, m'Lord--and it should double well at tonight's Star Wars gig.

BTW m'Lord, is this what you look like in a Cobra?

Very nice. However, the Dark Overlord's preferred ride is this:

[This message has been edited by solaris (edited May 19, 2005).]

I just love that Maserati. I makes me all hot and bothered.

------------------
    Jennifer Rudder
    PFM Racing
    http://www.pfmracing.com

[This message has been edited by PFM Racing (edited May 19, 2005).]

Originally posted by solaris:
    Very nice. However, the Dark Overlord's preferred ride is this:
    Impressive, but I'd go with an open cockpit design. Otherwise, how will your cape flap in the breeze?

G

Originally posted by oanglade:
    Call the winner "Gloria" for all I care. It's a freaking awesome weekend at a great track.

That about says it all, Ony.

G

Can you get the body parts for the Maserati that will attach to a Honda Civic?

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I am sure we could make some.

------------------
    Jennifer Rudder
    PFM Racing

Actually I think this is what the Dark Overlord should drive.

------------------
    Jennifer Rudder
    PFM Racing

He should drive a red 'X'???

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608

I'm all conflicted in that I both agree and disagree with some things here. This is a great discussion though.

My .$02...

As mentioned, it is funny that a few guys on the east coast just plain whip ass all year, then either never go to the ARRC or for some reason are oddly slower when they do go. Now, there aren't "alot" of guys like this, but they are out there. This seems to show that the teardowns do work.

As far as the teardowns are concerned, I hate them. Not because I'm cheating, because I'm lazy and I like beer and cajun food. If I win the ARRC, I don't want to spend the evening re-assembling my motor for the enduro, I want to spend it drinking beer and eating with my cajun buddies.
    That said, I do agree that the teardowns lend some credibility that the podium is LEGAL, so I'll deal with it.

As far as the extent of the teardowns, I think its good the way it is. There seems to maybe be a bit of deviation year to year in that you don't know exactly what to expect. Heck, if they decided to not do teardowns at all one year it wouldn't matter at all as long as nobody KNEW they weren't going to do it.
    Remember the "doomsday device" from Dr. Strangelove??? The knowlege that a tear *could* happen will keep cheaters away, but only if everybody knows about it. At this point I think everybody knows about it. I'd even be all for a system of drawing a car number out of a hat for the top 5. Whoever gets drawn gets a complete teardown, the other guys get to watch. I think that would still deter cheating and be easier on everybody. The tech shed sure would be less crowded.
    I think we were stuck in there for 2 hours last year. That kind of sucked.

As far as it being a "real" championship... Well, it might not be. But what it is is as close as we IT guys are going to get, so I have no issues calling the winner a National Champion. As Greg mentioned, if someone in the midwest wants to put on an event like this... Go for it. Most of us that try to run up front at the ARRC would be there.

Finally, if you've never been to an ARRC... It's different. Honestly, it is. Its not just a glorified SEDIV race.
    Its just different. The competition is tougher, the stakes are higher, and everyone cranks it up a notch. Last year was my first ARRC as a competitor and I was nervous as all hell. Note that I don't get nervous, ever. Friends have made fun of me for napping or planning what I'm going to have for dinner inside the 5 minute call on grid. At the ARRC last year I actually had to take a minute and get my proverbial shit together.
    Yeah... Its different.

------------------
    #22 ITC Honda Civic
    3rd Place 2004 ARRC
    1st Place 2004 ARRC Enduro
    www.motorpride.com/Catch22

Scott, I suppose that's what I meant when I refered to "Natonal Champion". I didn't know I ws going to stir up a nest of ACLU employees. It's just different. Sure, most of the people running are from the area, but the same thing happens at the Runoffs at Mid Ohio. We'll see how that may change at Topeka.
    As for the Cajun food and beer...our cook was up in impound helping tear down the winner and never missed a stir of the gumbo pot. There was an interesting flavor to the roux last year, though. Did your bowl have some crunchy stuff in it, too?

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

Did your bowl have some crunchy stuff in it, too?

Well, no.
    I think he put something "special" in your bowl. He was mumbling something about secret ingredients.

Will the beloved cook be at the double SARRC in Roebling on july 9 and 10????

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Sorry, Evan, I doubt it serously. If he makes a showing, it will only be to crew. He hangs up his black iron pot and propane burner after each ARRC. The food effort takes about two full weeks to prepare and somewhere around $500 to finance. It's something he loves to do just 'cause people love hime to do it. Eat up, there's plenty.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic