Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: ARRC 2005

Andy (a fellow TR8 driver by the way) makes a good point. There were I think 11 car ITS fields at IRP this weekend in the Midwest (and Andy and his dad took 3rd and 4th no less, in IT-dinosaur TR8s).

The "perception" is that the NEDiv and the SEDiv have the fastest IT cars. BUt is this self-fulfilling because the means of judging this is the ARRC, which is held at Road Atlanta?

Maybe a more central location for the ARRC would be a good thing for IT. I suspect that some SEDiv and NEDiv drivers might be surprised at teh results. I see far more oddball cars in the results in the MidWest and Far West, and they seem to do ok (Supras and TR8s and Alfa GTV6s0

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Maybe a more central location for the ARRC would be a good thing for IT.</font>
    If a region in the middle of the country took the initiative to hold an IT love-fest (as the SEDiv has) then I'm certain it will attract a following (as the ARRC has). So, who's gonna step up to the plate to chair that little ditty...?

Build it, and they will come...

Originally posted by trd77:
    I think one should have to finish in the top of their divison to compete.
    This has been brought up before and is a good idea, but it I seem to recall it being mentioned that the divisions don't keep up with points for the Regional classes. It would seem easy enough to pick out the top finishers though.

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 17, 2005).]

I think the fastest IT cars tend to center around the builders that have developed programs...most of them are in the East.

ISC
    Bimmerworld
    Speedsource
    BSI
    Mechanic Shop North

If there was a West Coast Region who wanted to hold a 'unoffical' WC Championship, then in a few years someone would put on something at Mid Ohio, Heatland Park or someplace semi-central.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

That’s always nice to hear – thanks Stephen. I still have a long ways to go!

The ARRC has become what it is due to smart marketing of the event. I really love the idea of tear downs to help keep cars much more legit. It really adds credibility to the race. While I have a great deal of respect to those who do well at the ARRC, as others have said it is not a national championship event. Heck, there are other “championship” events such as the NARRC (and I’m sure others in various regions throughout the country). What makes these events less of a championship event? In reality it goes back to what I said in the first place - the marketing of the event. Until the ARRC is officially named the IT championship race, it simply isn’t. Would I love to win it? Heck yeah. But would I make the trip every year without it truly being the championship race? I doubt it but who knows. Regardless it sounds like great event to participate in.

Bob - it could be pretty cool to send out invitations to those top finishers even if the event is still open to anyone.

I realize that grass roots does some coverage of the event, but what about getting them to cover it even more. Are there any other ways to get the event even more exposure?

Going somewhat off topic, I have always thought it would be cool to have the "IT Championship" event held at varous different tracks. Kinda like the superbowl of IT.
    Regions would be asked if they want to host the show, if so they would have some time to hype it up. It could also bring about some fun competition between regions who can out do who. Just an idea.

------------------
    Dave Gran
    NER ITB #13
    '87 Honda Prelude si

Since we've wandered a little afield...

Sears Point used to have the PCRRC (Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships) that attracted "the best" of the regional classes on the left edge of the country. We used to make the trek down from Seattle and the event had some luster. I don't think it survives today.

It could be done, as Greg suggests, to have any division/region/track step up and promote something similar to what the ARRC has become. However, it is NOT - regardless of what the ARRC folks do right - a national IT championship, official or otherwise.

Then again, I don't think much of the RubOffs, either.

K

Originally posted by gran racing:
    Until the ARRC is officially named the IT championship race, it simply isn’t.
    The ARRC will never be named the IT Championships because the event features races from other regional classes as well. For me, it is was great to see the significant increase in open-wheel entries last year and I hope this year is even better. I would be happy to see each open-wheel class have its own race, but don't expect to see this any time soon.

------------------
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    ITS Honda Prelude

Some thoughts-

The Runoffs.....I'll stop short of saying something sound bite worhty, but they are a FAR cry from what they were, and what they could be. Honestly, if National was smart, and wanted to restore some interest and good racing (which they desperately need as the poor TV guys do the best they can with not much in certain classes), they would invite IT. SM will be there soon enough, and that will help the show.

The ARRCs. On one hand it's the defacto championship, but the region turnout is very strong. I applaud the region for taking the event seriously and doing partial teardowns, but remember guys, they are only partial, and lots of stuff could be slipping thriugh the net.

I see the point about certain guys who just never show up, and it is comical...like people don't wonder after a while. And I have also seen guys who blaze down the straights locally, but then barely keep up when they go to the ARRCs! Hmmmmmm....wonder why?

One word: Teardown.
    So, it makes a big difference.

That said, no californian is going to drive all the way ....it just isn't the championship.

If it was by invitation only, I am afraid you would see less, not more entries. (And guys like me would never make it...we don't have IT7, so I wouldn't qualify)

I think Darin needs to spearhead an effort out west to something similar, and someone in the midwest to do the East vs West IT Championships. Invite the top dogs from both coasts, and then allow the remaining slots to be filled on a first come first served basis. In a perfect world, it could be fun....
    But....the only problem with a three race format is who's gonna tow from Nova Scotia to Atlanta, back home, THEN turn around and go to Kansas!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Saying that no Californian would travel so far isn't exactly accurate. We raced a top California team for the championship a couple of years ago. We've also race people from Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec. The obstacle is the mountains. Not negogiating them in a tow vehicle, but the mental limiting area for travel both east and west. People just shut their brains off to it.
    For a couple of years in the beginning to IT, the SCCA held a National Championship at Heartland Park for IT and AS (then regional), and called it a National Championship. Two things happened in '93...SCCA dropped support of National championships for IT, and they moved the Runoffs to Mid Ohio for '94. The folks at Road Atlanta and it's surrounding regions picked up the ball for us little guys. Obtaining the use of the term, "ARRC" from SCCA's history it became known for it's name's origin..."American Road Race of Champions", the name used before it became "The Runoffs". Now that doesn't make the winners of each class a national champion in the minds of many people, and I'm sorry I stirred up such a symantic uproar.
    Having a qualification format would kill the race weekend. At the Runoffs, you're dealing with over twenty classes that aren't all well subscribed to (i.e., the former GT4 & GT5). At the ARRC, you're dealing with only four nationally recognized IT classes plus several small local and invitational groups and the ever swelling SM. Next year the Spec Miata group may possibly dwindle due to the timing of two major races.
    Say that you take the top four from each class in each division just as they do for the Runoffs...pretty small entry! Also, consider the division that has only a few cars in some classes. Example, my former division only has two ITB cars racing and only three ITC. Only one of those five car/driver combinations is qualified to be competitive on any track at any time, but by using the same rules as the Runoffs, all could race for a national championship.
    I suppose this calls for one more attempt at understanding. The Sox are known as champions of the World Series, yet they neither played any teams from Asia, nor was their championship recognized by the world.
    Call it what you will, we refer to ourselves as National Champions. That said...Go Sox!

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I agree with the World Series analogy. The are not world champs. MLB calls their championship series the "World Series", when in reality they are league champions and not National Champs because they have a team in Canada. You can call yourself an IT National Champion if you want, but you and others know it is a self appointed title. Where does it end. I was at the ARRC several years back and saw a guy racing a Mazad in the event. On the car he had written "legal southeastern division champ". Was this recognized by members of the southeast or is it understood that anybody who beat him was cheating. Can we all gives ourselves titles of national recognition. How about we just call you the ARRC Winner or the ARRC Champ

trd77,

the SARRC division is pretty much the southeastern U.S. So that racer's statement would be correct.

Derek Ketchie

sothe racer's statement on his car "legal southeast champion " is correct. he was a mid to end of the pack runner. so then if that statement is correct, everyone ahead of him is a confirmed cheater. If that is the case then there should be no crediblility in the southeast if everyone is acknowledgeing that the front runners are cheating

Sorry but if someone is willing to buy a sticker rather than a protest, he's part of the problem and leaves himself no room for whining.

K

My whole point unfortunately is that there is so much cheating in IT that in order for there to be a legit championship there needs to be a tear down. This is why I consider the ARRC more legit than the NARRC or anyother championship. Actually if you want to compare regions I give more credibility to a region that hosts a championship where there is a teardown rather than one that does not have a teardown. To me that makes sense. I have exercised my right to post money, and it does work and is the only true way to find out if they are legal or not.

Now that we've brutalized the term "Champion", does anyone want to come up with an interpretation of the bible that we all agree on?

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

(gets out 10-foot pole to not touch that with)

(flame suit on)

Having been to all of the ARRC races in Atlanta (since the IT Festival died), I have to say that some years the teardowns are MUCH better then others. Personally, I would like to see the top three come apart. We have no problem with doing it, and have still gotten them back together for Sunday. Can't do it? Oh well; don't race on Sunday (many don't anyway). I would like to see the IT crowd held to a HIGHER standard then the National classes. For those of us who drive from outside of that division for what is touted to be a premier event, let's at least make sure that the winners are legal.
    Otherwise, it's just another regional where some of the cheaters don't show up.

------------------
    Lesley Albin
    Over The Limit Racing
    Blazen Golden Retrievers

madrabbit, I agree with your point about tear downs at the ARRC. I think it does give it a lot of legitimacy. I just thought it was funny seening this guy driving around midpack with this large sticker on each quater panel basicaly stating he was the fastest legal car and assuming that anyone who beat him was cheating. Did any else see this guy, it has been several years ago maybe 5-6. I always wonder what the story was behind hit

Originally posted by Knestis:
    Since we've wandered a little afield...

Sears Point used to have the PCRRC (Pacific Coast Road Racing Championships) that attracted "the best" of the regional classes on the left edge of the country. We used to make the trek down from Seattle and the event had some luster. I don't think it survives today.
    <snip>
    K
    PRRC was retired, and re-born under the name Western States Shootout for the past two years. It was held at the final SFR regional event of theyear, and combined with the Illgen RDC 4 hour enduro.
    Unfortunately, due to low car counts, the "shootout" was cncelled this year, and the EOY regional moved to Sears Point.

Marcus

<font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Call it what you will, we refer to ourselves as National Champions.</font>

Kinda makes you wonder what other envelopes people w/ this kind of attitude will push. BTW, just who are you trying to impress w/ that title?

I'm sort of w/ Kirk on this, I don't think it's appropriate for a single race to decide a National Champion. What other sanctioning body crowns a champion based on the result of one race? If anything, it's more akin to an all-star game than a championship.

------------------
    MARRS #25 ITB Rabbit GTI (sold) | MARRS #25 HProd Rabbit
    SCCA 279608