Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: ARRC 2005

Default ARRC 2005

So are we ready for this years race? I know the dates changed.....

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Since the traditional date usually falls on my anniversary, I am very interested in a new date.

Care to share?

------------------
    Chris Wire
    Team Wire Racing
    ITS Mazda RX7 #35
    [email protected]

I saw it posted somewhere that it is moved to the 12th and 13th....but im not sure.....anyone else???

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

I also have Nov 12th and 13th on my calendar, but I don't recall the source of that info.

------------------
    Gregg Baker, P.E.
    Isaac, LLC
    http://www.isaacdirect.com

ARRC dates are November 11-13. See y'all there.

------------------
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    ITS Honda Prelude

Looks like I'm going to be there crewing for the current, multi National Champion in ITC and the future National Champion in ITA. I'll stay off the track this year, so the rest of you guys will feel safer racing.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

I didn't realize there was a National Champion recognized in IT racing, or any regional class

Do you mean the ARRC champ. I do not see where, if you when that race you are the national champ. Is this addressed in the GCR? I think we could all agree that the ARRC is mainly consist of competitors form the southeast or east. I know there are a few who travel, but are we truly geeting the best from all over the country. This event is open to anyone, it is not by invitation or an event that one has to qualify for is it?
    While I would agree there is a high caliber of competitors, (mainly from the region), I don't think that if you win you are the national champ. If you win you are the winner of the ARRC, just as if you won the June Sprints. A great win, yes but national champ, no.

Originally posted by trd77:
    While I would agree there is a high caliber of competitors, (mainly from the region), I don't think that if you win you are the national champ. If you win you are the winner of the ARRC, just as if you won the June Sprints. A great win, yes but national champ, no.

I agree. With all due respect the NARRC runnoffs at LRP are much much more competitive at least in ITB. ARRC is a fun event and I like that they due teardowns but it was one of the least competitive events I did last year. Me and my bro out qualified everyone by a full second. In the North East that never happens ever. I do like the event and it gets a lot of exposure but the fields are usually small and mostly South East people. A lot of us travel form New England because we like to do well "away from home" With all that being said it is a fun fun event with lots of good track time. You do get to drive with some great drivers and against some very well prepaired cars. Also the trophies are far far better than any trophies I have seen in Regional Racing!

Stephen

Stephen, you better bring your "A" game this year. Also, I raced in the NE for many years and the only thing they ever looked at in impound was if I had on nomex socks. PK

its the closest thing we have to a national runoff...it gets pretty good coverage by the mags (grassroots/sportscar etc) i think it would be cool to have the arrc at mid ohio now that the nat guys are done with it....more central and a beautiful place...

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Just an FYI. If the ARRC were to go to a track other than Road Atlanta the event would need to be named something else. Road Atlanta owns the name and have turned down offers from the Atlanta Region SCCA to buy it. It seems the SCCA just kind of forgot about the ARRC name and Jim Kanely picked it up in 1993 or so.

Will agree that the Improved Touring fields have been weak in recent years in comparison to the 1990s. I think this can be attributed to many of the IT racers moving to Spec Miata. With the SCCA revising specs for the IT cars hopefully we'll see the bigger fields return.

------------------
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    ITS Honda Prelude

Sorry, maybe my ego was larger than some others in naming people national champions, but I doubt it. Having crewed for a recognized National Champion and seeing the fields in both Atlanta and Mid Ohio, I can say that they are really not much different there than they are at Road Atlanta. We dealt with mostly the "locals" at the Runoffs. I've raced against people from all over the nation and Canada at the ARRC. Even the there is a qualification structure for the Runoffs, a lot drivers/cars come that may have one their division, but are hardly competitive nationally. Maybe I should've put National in quotes. Everyone has the opportunity to attend. If Lance Armstrong chooses not to do the Tour de France, does the guy who wins not own the title? Sorry if anyone was offended.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

If he wins the tour de france, he wins the title, but it is the title to that particular event, just like the ARRC. I do not think it is right to call yourself the national champion if you win the event. Do not get me wrong, its a great win. I have gone to the event to watch years ago, and to be honest I was not impressed. While the front runner were good and in great cars, the total field was not composed of high caliber cars and talent. It seemed to me to be just another regional. I would just like to know where it is written that it is recognized as a national champ. I also want to say that this is not only directed at you, I hear this or see it all the time. I just don't think it is right.

Whatever.

------------------
    Chris Harris
    ITC Honda Civic

It is simply the most well recognised IT event...everyone nationally is invited to see who is the best...if the best IT driver decides to not come then he does not get the arrc title...if people want to turn IT national, (see other thread) then they should attend at least one ARRC type event to decide and show numbers...where else is there a year end race for all the marbles?? just look at the SM entry list...all over the country.....

------------------
    Evan Darling
    ITA Integra

Originally posted by charrbq:
    Whatever.

Hey Chris I agree with you that it is awesome to win at that event. I was very very excited when I won 3rd in 2003 and super excited to be off pole in 2004 then terribly depressed to brake while I was in the lead on lap 5 yes not even 1/4 the wya through the race. arrrggg. Anyway It is several top running cars and great drivers like I said before. There is a reason I travel 18+ hrs to go! I also agree with you peter. I think some of the guys in ITB last year where not going as fast as they could in qualifying. Back when your car was running people where going a full second faster than I did this past year. I will also be honest in saying that I was the 5th fastest car at LRP for the NARRC and nothing changed on my car except new brakes and southern 89 octane fuel. With the new cars in ITB the feilds will be much tougher. I would say the Accord is definetly the new car to have for the class. David gran is doing very, very well from what I here in the North East!

Stephen

Originally posted by trd77:
    While the front runner were good and in great cars, the total field was not composed of high caliber cars and talent.
    The same could be said about the Runoffs and just about anyone can go these days. The difference is the history of the Runoffs and that SCCA National virtually ignores the ARRC providing little to no support.

------------------
    Bob Pinkowski
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    ITS Honda Prelude

[This message has been edited by bobpink (edited May 17, 2005).]

It is just my opinion, but I am sure that others share it, If there is no tear down then an event does not carry much weight, period. There is so much cheating especially in IT, that for any championship to carry weight there needs to be a tear down, no matter how extensive it may or may not be. I do not say this to offend anyone, but the ARRC is the only IT championship that offers a tear down, which to me makes it by far the most legit championship. As far as big fields, I agree with previous statements regarding the fields being smaller because of spec miata. I also think that the reason the fields are smaller is because people know that if they win, their motor is gonna get torn down. I know a lot of fast cars that have won championships in IT over the years that never raced at the ARRC, there is always an excuse, but after a number of years thats all it is, an excuse. Just my opinion, just like #ssholes, we all have one.

Derek Ketchie
    #5 ITC

I agree about tear downs. It does make it a legitimate title. I have respect for the drivers who win and pass tear down. I also agree that the Runoffs are filled with classes that are not alway full of high caliber cars. However, one must qualify for the Runoffs and it is recognized by the SCCA as its National Championship. I would love to see the SCCA recognize that event or another event for championships. I know that it will never happen because it is a regional class. I would like to see the ARRC adopt a qualifying format for the event. I think one should have to finish in the top of their divison to compete. Until there is a qualifying format, it is just a regional event that has a good following, (mainly in the south), just as I wood say the same about the June Spirnts. Maybe the biggest National event other than the Runoffs, but just a National event none the less. I don't many from the south or east go to the June Sprints, it is mainly a regional event.