Originally posted by grega:
Why would you assume that? As I recall, the nationally-published Spec Miata rules give regions "the option" of specifying a tire, however unless otherwise specified there is no tire manufacturer restriction.

Further, the 2004 ARRC was run with open tires and Hoosier's SM ruled the weekend...
I would assume that because we have a spec tire rule in the SE for Spec Miata. It only allows Kumhos and Hankooks. The option you mention above has been excercised for both 2004 and 2005. We had it last year also, however it was decided by someone last year to allow the hoosiers using the national rule you mentioned as basis.

If they do it again, hoosier will be the tire to have and people will have to go buy a couple sets for the weekend but they won't be able to use them at any other races.

So in my opinion, I think it would be a terrible idea to allow hoosiers. It would put people like me who already have a garage full of toyos in the position of having to buy tires to be competitive. Tires are not cheap and I like to at least be able to use them at another race.

It would just increase costs period.