Thread: light weight Z wheels

Default light weight Z wheels

Any suggestions for lightweight 240Z wheels in 15", 4x4.5", zero offset? Konig Rewinds and Panasport ULs are around 15#, it would be nice to get down to around 12-13# without breaking the bank...
    Troy

The Panasports will probably be the best option, they are a proven wheel. Not sure if the Konigs would be strong enough to hold up to racing with the sticky tires available now.

There's probably a few other choices, but they'd probably cost a lot more than the Pana's.

Diamond or Circle might be an option in a steel wheel, the cost savings could be enough to buy an exta set of wheels for rain tires compared to the Pana's.

[This message has been edited by 2Many Z's (edited July 13, 2005).]

I use the circle aluminum wheels in the 14 inch variety. They save weight over the Panasports and seem to be very durable. I assume they are available in 15 inch, as the RX-7 guys use them, although I don't know why you would want to.

Steve

<<although I don't know why you would want to>>
    A good question I have been tossing around. Answers could be: to get a different relative gearing without a diff change, more choices of race tires, lower rim-to-pavement distance with a constant overall diameter thus allowing a lower front airdam, cuz I want them... All valid answers, but looking for others. What are the good reasons for staying with 14s?
    Thanks, Troy

I don't know if Revolution has a 15 but I've seen 14's on them before. Regardless, the only wheel that should be on a Z is a Panasport!

------------------
    katman

katman, everyone I know that ran Revolutions had problems with them and now run Pana's. I don't know if Revolution ever solved their cracking problems they had years ago. The only ones I know that still run the Rev's is on street cars, and I do think they have (or had) 15 inch that had the right pattern.

Troy... For me the determination of whether to change from 14's to 15's was a matter of weight, circumference, and contact patch. The Circle Racing 14 inch wheels weigh 10.5 lbs vs 12.0 for the 15 inch. (The Pana 14's are 12.5) Hoosier R3S04's 225/50/14 are 17.5 lbs, tread width of 8.8, and circ of 71.3. 225/45/15 are 17.0, 8.6, and 71.6. So for me it wasn't worth changing since I would gain 1 pound per corner of unsprung mass. Same contact patch and no significant change in gear ratio. I'm not sure what I'm sacrificing by not having the lower sidewall.

I've had good luck with the Circle's and they are about the same price as the Pana's.

Steve

The Pana 14's are 12.5

And the 15x7 ULs are 15#.
    Thanks for the info, Steve. It helps me in the decision making process. I went to the Circle website, nice wheels. The 15x7's weigh 12.2 and retail for $231.
    Troy

Originally posted by 2Many Z's:
    katman, everyone I know that ran Revolutions had problems with them and now run Pana's. I don't know if Revolution ever solved their cracking problems they had years ago. The only ones I know that still run the Rev's is on street cars, and I do think they have (or had) 15 inch that had the right pattern.
    Everyone I knew that ran Revolution's also had cracks. I should have mentioned that, thanks.

Of course everyone I know that ran the Panasport lightweight "racing only" wheels on their street Z's also had cracks, but we never had any problems on our race car in the 14" size.

I would have loved to have had the 15" option when we still had the ITS 240Z so that I could have gotten some more clearance between the secret brake duct and the wheel, but there is a trade off in unsprung weight.

------------------
    katman

[This message has been edited by kthomas (edited July 20, 2005).]

Hey Keith,
    I thought you fell off the face of the earth.

Revolutions suck. They crack around the hub and shouldn't be used. Panasports are not the lightest wheel out there, but seem durable for GT cars on slicks. Circles in aluminum are light but flex a bit (might not be as much of a problem with radials, compared to soft racing slicks). Check with Circle about their availability. I was looking for some 15s last month and they said they were out of aluminum 15" rims, and due to a switch in manufacturing, they wouldn't be able to produce them for 6-8 weeks.

For the bucks-up types, Kodiak and Jongbloed make very light real race wheels, but they can cost the price of a cheap IT car.

I think 15s would be the way to go for an IT Z car. More clearance for brake ducts, small unsprung weight penalty, easier to correct roll center.

Originally posted by SWSpiers:
    Hey Keith,
    I thought you fell off the face of the earth.
    Well I guess I have gone from center stage to supporting role to behind the scenes to not even in the building anymore, but I haven't fallen off the face of the earth... yet. Congrats on the GT-3 wins this year and I'm glad the ITA car finally generated some fun. Keep me on the race report distribution. The suspensions on the Sunbelt BMW's are my doing but otherwise I be retired.

------------------
    katman

Actually, it's an ITS car. That's why it's so uncompetitive.

How about looking at what's wrong with the 240SX setup? We did the spherical bearing rear end recently and that has helped, but the car still has a twitch, and huge understeer in turn 1, though it's not bad in turn 7. Also dumped the rear bar completely, but mostly because it couldn't be adjusted soft enough. Got some cool parts, just no setup time (Speedway front bar, coil overs and ShockTek adjustable shocks).

I hope this isn't seen as a conflict of interest, but maybe I can double your pay.

Joe, do you have any high speed cambered tracks that your car is set up well for?

Originally posted by SWSpiers:
    Actually, it's an ITS car. That's why it's so uncompetitive.
    ITS, Doh! Freudian slip. You got ShockTek's? Anybody ever find Dr. Mike?

Your understeer is a curious problem, usually at RA people are good at 1 and plowing at 7. We have to fix it at 1, that's more important for lap time. I'll email you off line Monday when I get back into the office.

------------------
    katman

I never was able to find the ShockTek guy. Last year we were having a problem with the rebound valving in the front and needed them checked out. Sent them to someone in Portland - not a great experience.

I'll forward specs for you to contemplate. Probably just too stiff on the front springs, coupled with bad tires.

Just weighed a 14x7 Panasport with a hoosier s04 225/50r14 and a Konieg rewind 15x7 with a hoosier s04 225/45r15. The 15 was just shy of 1/2 pound lighter. If the Konieg wheel holds up, seems like that is the choice. Almost the same roll out and contact patch, less side wall. It looks to be a great wheel, the price is good. Almost half what the 14 inch panasport costs.

How much was that weight? (the 15" Koenig with tire)
    Troy

31.2 lbs for the 15 mounted and balanced.

Thanks. Let us know how those Rewinds work out. Was the Panasport in your weigh-in a standard or lightweight?

It was an ultralite.