Thread: 240Z rear tow hook

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default 240Z rear tow hook

I am prepping my 73 240Z for ITS. Does anyone have any ideas for the rear tow hook placement?

thanks,
    Andrew

The only thing that makes structural sense is a hook bolted through the bumper mount bolts.

------------------
    katman

I made a tow loop out of an outdated set of racing belts and looped it under the rear bumper mounts. I folded up the extra and hold it in place with a zip tie.

So if you use the rear bumper mount holes, do most guys run without the rear bumper? Or do they drill through it or something?

I bent a 1/2 rod into a loop, welded it to a 4"X4" 1/4" plate, then welded that to a 1 1/2 angle iron 6" long and welded the whole assembly to the rear frame channel. You have to notch the rear valance panel. Probably overkill, but it works fine.

Dave Ciufo
    ITS 240z #34

Originally posted by andrew240z:
    So if you use the rear bumper mount holes, do most guys run without the rear bumper? Or do they drill through it or something?
    Nope, you have to have the bumper. The hook goes on the aft side of the bumper channel (the piece the bolts go thru) and hangs below.

------------------
    katman

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about it. If you do use the rear bumper mounts for a tow hook, is this strong enough? The bumber mounts are really weak looking in the rear. Seems like it would pull the back panel way out of shape.

Are you replacing the stock tie down strap with a 2 inch hook? (See Picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a photo of my car and how it was done by the previous owner. There are aluminum plates sandwiched/bolted by the bumper brackets. I haven't changed it. Seems to work and yes, I believe you will need to remove the stock tow hook. IIRC, the hook has a plate that is captured with the bumper bolts that have captive nuts in the frame section. I am sure that someone will correct me if my old age has made me forget, again

I am not using the mounts, the bolts go through the mount and into a box structure behind the valance.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Paul,
    Was anything added to the valence box structure? 'Cause stock it sure looks weak.
    It looks like I could rip it loose real easily.

Tom

Here's the one I built years ago. I pretty much lost my mind and went overkill, but it also held my coffee cup when swapping diffs.