Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 240Z rear tow hook

Default 240Z rear tow hook

I am prepping my 73 240Z for ITS. Does anyone have any ideas for the rear tow hook placement?

thanks,
    Andrew

The only thing that makes structural sense is a hook bolted through the bumper mount bolts.

------------------
    katman

I made a tow loop out of an outdated set of racing belts and looped it under the rear bumper mounts. I folded up the extra and hold it in place with a zip tie.

So if you use the rear bumper mount holes, do most guys run without the rear bumper? Or do they drill through it or something?

I bent a 1/2 rod into a loop, welded it to a 4"X4" 1/4" plate, then welded that to a 1 1/2 angle iron 6" long and welded the whole assembly to the rear frame channel. You have to notch the rear valance panel. Probably overkill, but it works fine.

Dave Ciufo
    ITS 240z #34

Originally posted by andrew240z:
    So if you use the rear bumper mount holes, do most guys run without the rear bumper? Or do they drill through it or something?
    Nope, you have to have the bumper. The hook goes on the aft side of the bumper channel (the piece the bolts go thru) and hangs below.

------------------
    katman

I know this is an old thread but I have a question about it. If you do use the rear bumper mounts for a tow hook, is this strong enough? The bumber mounts are really weak looking in the rear. Seems like it would pull the back panel way out of shape.

Are you replacing the stock tie down strap with a 2 inch hook? (See Picture)
    Attached Images Attached Images

Here is a photo of my car and how it was done by the previous owner. There are aluminum plates sandwiched/bolted by the bumper brackets. I haven't changed it. Seems to work and yes, I believe you will need to remove the stock tow hook. IIRC, the hook has a plate that is captured with the bumper bolts that have captive nuts in the frame section. I am sure that someone will correct me if my old age has made me forget, again

I am not using the mounts, the bolts go through the mount and into a box structure behind the valance.

http://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo...eat=directlink
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Paul,
    Was anything added to the valence box structure? 'Cause stock it sure looks weak.
    It looks like I could rip it loose real easily.

Tom

Here's the one I built years ago. I pretty much lost my mind and went overkill, but it also held my coffee cup when swapping diffs.

Quote Originally Posted by betamotorsports View Post
    Here's the one I built years ago. I pretty much lost my mind and went overkill, but it also held my coffee cup when swapping diffs.

Nice fab and weld work, but hardly looks attached to anything!

John,
    Is that attached to the bumper? Do you work for Mercedes? (That was a joke, you know, over engineering). I need to re-learn how to weld, that looks like it was fun to do.

Back to another question; How much weight will the rear bumper mounts hold?
    I guess its probably a bad idea to mount a hook on the rear suspension crossmember,
    which is where my car already has a towing eye. Its just kind of hard to get to and 1 1/2 inches instead of 2. Keith saw my last car's hook in the same place and said it was a bad idea, I guess its better to bend the rear valence and bumper than the suspension.
    I bought a couple of these d-rings painted red from http://www.strapworks.com/Rated_Meta...s_p/mdr-5k.htm
    and there's a upholstery shop nearby to sew my old seatbelts to make a tow strap.

So fo about $10 and my aged out belts; tow hooks. The front I can bolt to the frame rail where the tie down is, but the rear is messing with my head.

Argh! Its the insignificant details that end up being the more complex.

Tom
    Attached Images Attached Images

The hook was bolted between the body and the bumper bracket. All the steel is 4130 and it flexed a bit when hooked up but it was strong enough to pull the car our of Buttonwillow silt on a wet day. The car itself was a 1970.

Tom, I think the structure/frame is strong enough in the back. I looked at mine again last night. It is connected to the frame/uni-body, connected across the rear of the car and ties to the upper strut mounting tower via the frame rail. I don't think it will give you any problems.

I also have a small structure in the rear for the cell. I would think mine is slightly weaker than stock since most of the spare tire well, rear deck area was cut out to install the cell. Have you every tried to work/cut out the rear deck? It is more than one layer and pretty dang strong! I found out the hard way cutting body panels from a parts car.
    Paul Ballance
    Tennessee Valley Region (yeah it's in Alabama)
    ITS '72
    1972 240Z
    "Experience is what you get when you're expecting something else." unknown

Thanks everyone. As always, you've been a big help.
    Rear bumper mounts it is.

Default tow hook...

Hi Tom,
    Last time I read the rule concerning attachment of hook, it appeared to me that it allowed basically, anything reinforcement wise to our cars to enable removal of car from any type of mired up mess. My interpetation..... I want to be able to pickup entire car with that hook.

David
    30 year old ITS car

Hey David,

That's how I interpreted it too. I should be able to pick up the car if I have to.
    I'm going with the bumper mount for now and look into something stronger later in the season.

Maybe I'll be seeing you this year if things work out.

Tom

Tom, Long time no see... Let me know if you need any help working on the Z. Drop me an email or IM.

~Evan

Evan,

Email me at [email protected]. I need all the help I can get.

Tom

I found this when I was searching for tow hooks not long ago.

http://www.zccjdm.com/store.php?sell...=images#IMAGES
    David Plott
    Atlanta Region #289721
    #54 1973 Datsun 240Z
    Mount Juliet, TN