Thread: Best ka24e header?

Default Best ka24e header?

Working with a realistic budget, (meaning no one-off, custom made pieces,) which readily available header for the sohc 240sx is the best, in terms of power improvement?

Thanks,

-Ben

I just finished a lot of dyno work over the winter which concentrated only on header and exhaust work. I found the 1 5/8" std. S&S header with the parallel merge collector to be hard to beat. We tried all types of steps and combinations but ended up coming right back to the 1 5/8" setup. 1 1/2 is definately too small and 1 3/4 in my opinion is too large (it slightly helps torque but kills overall HP). Exhaust lengths and steps also make slight diferences but minor.

What exhaust pipe size did you use after the header and how long did you run it out? Also, is that S&S header a tri-y or 4-1 design? Thanks for the intel if your willing to post it.

Bilracer,

Quick question: If I order an S&S header off of they're website, will I get the specs you are referring too, or do I need to specify/call them? Did you try the hotshot header as well? Just curious.

Thanks,

-Ben

Ben,
    The merge collector is a option on S&S's header. If you catch them at the right time, they will even leave off the unnecessary emissions hook-ups. Call Lauren out there. Tell him what you are doing, he will get you set-up. He is pretty sharp guy.
    Jim

We ran the 1 5/8 header with 4/1 parallel merge collector with their recomended (cone) in it - jim's right talk to them they are good. We ended up with a short exhaust length that runs out of the right side of the car with 2 1/2 inch pipe about 1/2 way to the muffler and then 2 3/4 out the rest of the way. I have been running a "street" pacesetter header for 3 years NOT the way to go we picked up approx. 6 peak h.p.
    I did not try the hot shot but we made a home made tri -y set up 1 3/4 dia. It was o-k (much better that the pacesetter) but not quite as good as the s/s.
    Hope this helps.

What is the S/S website? I'm looking at changing my header (have a Bob Stretch designed one, but it was his test header and it is kind of beat up now - cracked, bent, etc).

Uh...found it. Google really does work (when you know what to search on).

[This message has been edited by 7racing (edited May 05, 2004).]