Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 240: aluminum radiators, and rotors

Originally posted by Banzai240:
    I don't have my ITCS handy, but I have the same question. Which years of 240SX are classfied in ITA??

So, I guess the question boils down to this: Was ABS available on any ITA model 240SX (3-Valve)?? If not, then this is a big no-no the way I read the rules...
    Assuming nothing has changed for 2003 (don't have this year's GCR yet), only the '89-'90 240SXs are classed in ITA. As far as ABS brakes, I'm not 100% certain, but assume that since my '90 FSM has the R&R procedure for ABS that they were available in that year. It really wouldn't matter anyway, as the ITCS specifically allows the ABS rotors and calipers on the '89-'90 240SXs.

------------------
    Earl
    ITA 240SX in process

Just to confirm what Earl said, the 2003 GCR/ITCS specifically allows the ABS setup for our ITA ('89-90) 240s.
    Does Hawk make pads for these? Is it just the same pad as for the '95+?

Hey Jim, after you finally get the right brackets/calipers mounted, you need to start working on a wheelie bar....hahahahahaha

Michael

[This message has been edited by handfulz28 (edited February 25, 2003).]

Originally posted by handfulz28:
    Does Hawk make pads for these? Is it just the same pad as for the '95+?
    Hawk blues are available for both ABS & non-ABS cars. Judging by the applications listed on Courtesy Parts' website, the pads that fit the non-ABS S13s also fit the S14s produced through 7/96, while the pads for the ABS S13s fit the S14s produced after 7/96.

I just wish I had known all this before I ordered the new non-ABS rotors/pads!

------------------
    Earl
    ITA 240SX in process

wheelie bars...I haven't even got the nitrous hooked up yet...hahaha(gotta do some other repairs first)

Brake update number 73..

The box of loaded calipers i got last week DID have the right number on it. It did NOT have the right brackets. When i went to return them, I had the parts store pull another of the same number off the shelf. Guess what, they were different. I now have the parts to do the brakes.

Jim

Originally posted by Joe Harlan:
    OK so here is the run down.

89-94 had Non ABS and ABS. The ABS Caliper and rotor and pads were a little bigger than the none ABS stuff.

95 to Current offer ABS and NONE ABS but the calipers and rotors sizes are the same. These are also the same parts as the 89 to 94 ABS parts. The one difference is the 95 to current SE models are 5 lug. The other difference is the 95 to current have a beefier spindle and bearing in the front.

If anyone is interested in parts for this upgrade I have them all at least 4 or 5 sets of calipers and Brembo O.E. replacement rotors. You can E-mail me for information.

Joe Harlan
    Joe, what's your e-mail address? I am interested in picking up a set for my '92 240.

Thanks,
    Tim
    [email protected]

Originally posted by TBreu007:
    I have the Koyo. I wanted something better like a three row Fluidyne or something at first, but those have to be custom made, or altered with different pipes since they didn't make a bolt in for the S13 with a KA motor (only SR20DET).
    I have to say, the Koyo is quite pretty and well made. I don't know for sure yet if the 2 row will be enough cooling. I imagine it will be, but it does get awfully hot in S. Florida.
    At $350 or so for the Koyo, it's a bargain.
    Michael/Tim - Just wanted to follow up on the Koyo radiators, and see how they were working for you guys. After my first track day last Friday (in 90+ degree heat no less) I found that the 240 lives up to its reputation as a hot head, so my first next expense is going to have to be in the cooling dept.

------------------
    Earl
    ITA 240SX in process

Griffith Radiators also make custom radiators that fit in. From what I remember , they were pretty reasonable, and closer to me (they are in South Carolina). Thats what I have. A double pass. You need to tell them what tubing sizes you want and on what side, but it's another option. In 90 degree heat I run around 210-225.

------------------
    Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafe
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56

With some careful design work, those temps are easy to achieve. Mine actually runs a little cooler than that. With the current set-up, my water temps are about 180-190 and oil temps are 205-215. My radiator is a big thick two pass aluminum unit, much like the ron davis units. Make sure thatit is installed so that it doesn't allow air to escape around or over it. The oil cooler cannot be mounted to the radiator (zip tie style). It soaks too much heat that way. Hope this helps.

Earl, let me know if you need anymore specifics on anything..

Jim

Thanks Tristan/Jim. From the sounds of it, I wasn't running much hotter the other day than Tristan has been running normally. And even then, it only took a lap or so with the heater blasting to get the temp back into the normal range. Not to mention I was totally stock in the cooling dept., including antifreeze (I know, I know, but I just hadn't gotten around flushing it out yet).

At this point anything that falls into the "drop-in" category becomes instantly attractive, so I'm thinking I'll probably give the Koyo a try. I would hope that, in conjunction with an oil cooler, this should be sufficient to keep the thing from blowing its top.

------------------
    Earl
    ITA 240SX in process