Thread: removal of 240 sx motor

Default removal of 240 sx motor

I am having to replace the motor in my 89' 240 sx (ITA) do i need to pull the transmission out as well or is there a way to leave the tranny in and just pull the block ? - any help on this matter and other suggestions would be appreciated

Originally posted by memco:
    I am having to replace the motor in my 89' 240 sx (ITA) do i need to pull the transmission out as well or is there a way to leave the tranny in and just pull the block ? - any help on this matter and other suggestions would be appreciated
    Mines a '97, which may be different, but I pulled and replaced the motor with the tranny in the car. You have to remove the radiator, of course, and it's a tight squeeze against the firewall, but it wasn't too bad... Just make sure you support the tranny on a jack while the motor is out...

It's easier to just remove the tranny with the motor. There's too many bolts in akward locations to remove the motor without the tranny.

If you've removed the vacuum lines on the back of the head that control the emissions you can easily remove the motor without the tranny. The problem is putting it back in is a pain, it's easier to just take it out and do everything (putting the tranny on)outside the car. I have far too much experience in changing the motors on these things. Email me or call if you have any questions or need any helpful hints.

------------------

Guys thanks for the advice - found that with IT preped car most of the rear emission controls stuff was gone and once radiator front end stuff was gone as well, we could see and undo the bolts and pull the engine sans the tranny- going back in was somewhat more difficult. On restart there are issues which i'm sure you see posted if you visit the site much. Thanks Again