Thread: 240SX clutches and pressure plates

Default 240SX clutches and pressure plates

Is anybody using one of those 4- or 6-puck clutch disks with an unsprung hub? Are they even legal? Are they worth it?
    Don't have my GCR, how "open" are these parts?
    Thanks,
    Michael

Michael - as long as they're the same diameter as stock, clutches are open. Flywheels must be stock.

I too am curious as to what others are using. I know the 4 and 6 puck disks have a harsher engagement, not sure whether the extra load on the drivetrain is worth whatever gains you would realize over a good quality 'regular' clutch. I know Tristan promised us a report on his Zoom clutch as soon as he had a few races on it.

------------------
    Earl
    ITA 240SX in process

I'm not that worried about harsh engagement. Have you seen that rubber donut thing in our driveline?
    It would take some getting used to when rolling from a stop I'd expect.
    Michael

Hey guys,
    Mine is a puck design but it DOES have a spring center. Diaphragm style pressure plate. I'll have to get you the brands after I get home. (the pressure plate and the disc are different brands). ZERO clutch trouble in almost 3 years. It is a little grabby at engagement, bu tnot terrible.

Jim

Hey Jim, is there a noticable difference in weight between puck and solid?
    How 'bout the PP-can we drill holes or otherwise reduce rotating mass?

mco

Hey Guys, so far the ZOOM clutch has worked fine. I have had no problems, and it operates just like a stock clutch. I was chatting ??last year?? with Ken Mersereau and Bob Stretch, both 240sx guys, about clutches. They both had tried all those super-duper racing clutches out there and weren't anymore impressed with the performance, or longevity of them over a stock clutch. Talking about lighter clutches seems kinda a waste of time to me, since we still have the heavy pressure plates, and slow turning motors to contend with. But I am propably just not enlightened on the benefits. But after the test day I did yesterday, it's going to take far more than a better clutch to make me fast again. I have driven very little in the last year, and it really showed in my times. There is no substitute for seat time. I have a feeling the rest of this season is going to be an exercise in humility.

Tristan Smith
    Buffalo's Southwest Cafes
    ITA Nissan 240sx #56