Thread: Differential upgrade-ITA 240

Default Differential upgrade-ITA 240

How many have upgraded their diff to limited-slip? Which unit are you using and how much did installation cost?
    I got hold of an OEM VLSD diff from a J30, but I need to swap the guts into the original housing. Nobody wants to do the work for less than ~$350. I went through two diffs in my chevy live-axle, and they only charged $150 to swap carriers.
    Thanks for any info.
    Michael

Mike, While the VLSD is better than an open diff, you will find that it will have a limited life in a race car........how long it lives is dependent on the mileage and condition of the diff. But eventually the silicon fluid breaks down and it losses it's effectiveness. The best bet is to buy a NISMO comp. LSD (disc type) or a Quaife. Both will cost you a chunk of change (I think the Nismo is around 900 bucks), but you get a longer life. Now having said that, the Infiniti J30 95+ No mods needed. Should bolt right in, but your R&P may be differnt, so you would need to check that, and the Infiniti J30 pre 95 needs new output flanges. I would love to say that I knew all that off the top of my head, but actually I looked it up on the 240sx Club of america website (http://www.240sx.org). Look under the "installs" header for more info. Hope that helps.

Tristan Smith
    ITA 240sx #56
    ITB 200sx #58

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited March 22, 2002).]

[This message has been edited by Tristan Smith (edited March 22, 2002).]

Thanks for the reply Tristan.
    Yeah, I figured the VLSD lifespan was short, but we got a decent deal. If it lasts for 8-12 hours I think it would prove "cost effective".
    I think the difference in R&P is 3.92 versus 4.08. The diff we got has the correct output shafts, so we'll be good to go on that front.
    Thanks again,
    Michael