Thread: Build a E36 or E46 ??????

Default Build a E36 or E46 ??????

I have a 94 325i and a 99 323i, I planned on building the E36 for SCCA IT / BMWCCA but with the recent rules changes would I be better off building the E46 ???? I would think prep cost would be similar with the possible exception of engine mgt. but I could sell more unused parts from the 323.

Good question. E-46 weighs more, but doesn't have a restrictor. Should have a stiffer shell and better aerodynamics. Is the track wider? That could make a difference. It looks nicer. I'd check in with James Clay at Bimmerworld, he's raced both and knows what he's doing.
    Let us know what you do, really I don't think you can loose either way, they are both great cars. It will probably come down to economics (E-36)
    John Norris
    ITS E-36

Seems I may have run into a problem with the e46..... I am finding out that a limited slip was never put on e46 cars and I might spend upwards of half the cost of a donor car to get one anybody know any different?

Euro E46 had LSD option. There currently is one on ebay.

I don't think anyone will know for sure until some competitive E46's show up this year.

Hell, I'm not convinced that the E36 is totally developed yet. I think it will still get faster, even with the restrictor.

That said, the E46 should be a little better suspension wise. It definitely has more front track and a stiffer chassis. Obviously the 150 extra pounds will hurt it, but some of that can be placed in optimum areas with a well thought out cage.

As for the cost of the LSD. It's "expensive", but not that much more expensive than what it would cost to build a competitive LSD for the E36. A good clutch LSD for an E36 will cost around $2200, a Kaaz E46 diff is around $3000...those prices are from Diffsonline.com. I know Blanton charges more for a clutch pack E46 diff.

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited February 16, 2005).]

Originally posted by RonInSD:
    Euro E46 had LSD option. There currently is one on ebay.

That appears to be a M3 LSD, is a e46 M3 diff a direct swap for a regular e46 ???