Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: getting fat

<<One of the e36’s that finished ahead of Nick last year has been down to Florida a few times this year and hasn’t returned home with a 5$ trophy.)>>

Super Swift, I hope you are not talking about Taylor Robertson, because although he is a good driver even he admits he does not have all the power that the fast guys have.

------------------
    Nick Leverone
    04 ITS Mazda Rx-7
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Amen Nick. Taylor has a very nice car. And I had a blast racing with him at the ARRC. But the top BMW's have a big hp advantage. I don't blame anyone for fighting against wieght or restrictors if it is against thier interests. But if Chet's car is legal, and it did pass tech, then that is the benchmark of what a fully developed BMW can do.

Rick Harbaugh
    ITS #2 RX-7

I would suggest that Ed York's car is at least as good of a benchmark for an E36. At VIR, he had at least as much power as Chet had (in Larry Stepp's car), but better handling. Not being at the ARRC, I don't know what Chet and Larry have done to their cars since then, but Ed did end up with the pole.

Hmmm..are you sure? Wittel ran a 2:12 (high 12) to York's 2:15 on Sunday. On Saturday, I think they were both high 14s. Bottom line appears to be that the orange car was about 1 to 1.5 seconds a lap faster than York's at its best.

Both obviously excellent drivers, not getting into that debate.

Jeff

At VIR as well as at the ARRC, Ed had mechanical problems during the races.

As I recall, Ed had the pole at VIR for both races. I am sure he was 1/2 a second faster than Chet in the first qualifying session, but don't have results for the second session.

Both Chet and Ed have put together awesome programs that are at the top of the current ITS class. Some of us get to race with them all year ;-)

------------------
    Wayne Burstein
    WDC Region, ITS #10, Datsun 240Z
    www.mountainmotorsports.net

Originally posted by JeffYoung:

BUT.....take those same two E36s and RX7s and run them at Roebling, Kershaw and Lime Rock...and you probably get a different result.

The E36 will dominate at HP tracks, I agree, but the 7s and the 240s still take wins (even against the best E36s) at other places.[/B]
    Thanks Jeff - you are correct. Look at the NorthEast specifically....LRP, NHIS. RX-7 dominates there. Watkins Glen is a different story, but guess what just set the Long Corse record? An RX-7. THis is why I have posted a lengthy diatribe again one guy in particular who has led the charge against the E-36. Funny, this guy doesnt even drive in ITS.....

Originally posted by jwsbmw325:
    Funny, this guy doesnt even drive in ITS.....
    Several of the frequent posters here don't currently run in IT as I understand.

doesnt matter, it is what it is. If the plate rule is administered for 05 - we'll have one in there and we'll do our best. Nick is right, I am sure that the Bimmerworld cars and the other guys in teh SOuth have expanded the envelope on the motors. We dont run Motec for example. I felt the competittion was pretty fair in teh Northeast, maybe not in the South or other regions.

I will ask you this John:

Why do you think it's "right" to have your 9/10ths car run with the 10/10ths stuff of everyone else? Nick's RX-7 have EVERY trick in the book, your cars don't...and the racing is equal in the Northeast...is that fair to everyone else?

The big picture is simple, when like driven and like prepared cars are compared, the BMW is an overdog. Your personal experience is moot because your cars can compete with the top RX-7 in the country without being fully prepped.

Fair? I don't think so. Apples must be compared to Apples. You gonna have to spend more money to go faster? WELCOME TO THE CLUB.

Andy

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
    New England Region R188967

Do these 10/10th RX7's have Motec? Could not other cars be helped by it? I only hear it being used with the BMW's. What about using it with the others?

Michael

Originally posted by ilateapex:
    Do these 10/10th RX7's have Motec? Could not other cars be helped by it? I only hear it being used with the BMW's. What about using it with the others?

Michael
    I believe that the rule should be changed to read, "Other than a performance chip the factory computer (ECU) must remain as from the factory" !!!!!
    DJ

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    ...your cars can compete with the top RX-7 in the country without being fully prepped.
    You forget that the fastest Rx-7 at the ARRC weekend was not Nick, and then Kip, while driving Nick's car, got second to another Rx-7 last month at Roebling. Seem's like there's still something left on the table...

I wonder how the 70 or the 48 Speedsourse cars would have done with Motec, 04 Hoosiers.

Grafton

Originally posted by GKR_17:
    You forget that the fastest Rx-7 at the ARRC weekend was not Nick, and then Kip, while driving Nick's car, got second to another Rx-7 last month at Roebling. Seem's like there's still something left on the table...

I wonder how the 70 or the 48 Speedsourse cars would have done with Motec, 04 Hoosiers.

Grafton
    Grafton,

Do me a favor, let me know who was faster that weekend. My info had Nick at a 1:41.458.

AB

Originally posted by ITSRX7:
    Grafton,

My info had Nick at a 1:41.458.

I stand corrected, Jeff Hill qualified for the enduro at a 1:41.558, which beat Nick's best qualifying time for the sprint (1:41.827). But, Nick was able to cut that to the 1:41.458 on the 4th lap of the sprint.

Grafton

Either way, Jeff and Nick are fast. Do you have any insight as to the fastest EVER lap cut by Syl? Conditions for the sprint were great.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    Spec Miata 1.6 (ITA project)
    New England Region R188967

2001 ARRC Qualifing...
    Trembly..1:40.2.."rx7"
    J.williams..1:40.5.."Z"

I have been curious for a while if 10B has been watched during those sessions...

Incredible race to watch in car video from the orange zs perspective

Originally posted by dspillrat:

2001 ARRC [edit]

Incredible race to watch in car video from the orange zs perspective
    Absolutely the most amazing drive I ever saw.

------------------
    katman

How can a Motec be legal for any car? It is it's own ECU and only replaces the factory ECU and it also has it's own wiring harness which makes it illegal as hell.
    I hope someone isn't going to tell me that a racer will spend 4k or more on a single component to win a piece of wood, not money but wood!!!!!
    DJ

Not the forum to get into it DJ. Simply put, yes it's done, and it costs a bit more than $4k, typically. Try the following if you want to learn more:

http://forum.improvedtouring.com/it/Forum2...TML/000752.html

http://forum.improvedtouring.com/it/Forum2...TML/000744.html

Among others...

[quote]Originally posted by GregAmy:
    [B]Not the forum to get into it DJ. Simply put, yes it's done, and it costs a bit more than $4k, typically. Try the following if you want to learn more:

Thanks, I did learn alot. Why isn't this the forum to get into this discussion? I'm new to ITS, but I truly believe that the rule should read differently to exclude these types of expensive programable ECU's for any car. But as the rule reads if you use the factory wiring harness, I guess there legal? This is grassroots motorsports? Has anyone tried to get the Comp Board to change this?
    Thanks again
    Dan