Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The E36 325 needs more power - FLAME ON!!!

Originally posted by badal:
    That almost sounds like if another car beats you, you will change cams to win? I hope I read that wrong.

It was a semi-serious JOKE. I won't do it, but it is a sore subject. Other cars mix and match cams with heads they weren't originally paired with. This cam is the only big thing that we could have left in our back pocket if required. I think my opinion of the cam should be fairly obvious at this point, no?

------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    James Clay
    http://www.bimmerworld.com
    Engineered BMW Performance
    World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
    Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
    (540) 639-9648

Originally posted by MK:
    I'm not trying to be a smartass, but firing a shot like this across the bow of an E36 builder might cause cheating in another area(keeping stock cams-knowing what'll be protested)
    Not a huge advantage in anything else. Besides, if you are going to tear down, do it right - I am very aware of the other parts out there.

James, you brought up the Spec Miata cams. How does one know if their stock cams will compare legally to cams already profiled? I've found a Miata website giving duration numbers for "stock" cams that aren't close to what I've gotten on two sets of bone stock cams(from used engines-matching each other)
    Don't get me started. From what I understand (this means don't quote me), there are several cams, including the one trick cam. There was a problem with a protest on the trick cam, which apparently Maxda supplied as stock, and Mazda backed up the part number. This is the cam to have, but I don't know enough about the system to know if there is a way to order it specifically or what it takes to get one.

See what I mead Badal? Factory part, factory spec, no one knows the tolerances so this could even be a legal part.

------------------
    James Clay
    (540) 639-9648

I want to thank everyone for doing the right thing at VIR this weekend. It seems that all of the E36 cars that showed up for the weekend didn't have the cam advantage. Good work guys - it is better for the class this way, I promise.

------------------
    James Clay
    (540) 639-9648

James,
    Maybe they were all cheating? BMW's won both days?
    Relax, just kidding.
    Too bad the Ed York/Seth Thomas/Chet Whittel battle never happened.

------------------
    "Bad" Al Bell
    ITC #3 Datsun 510
    DC Region MARRS Series

Oh don't worry we weren't cheating. But I would have loved to have the York/Thomas/Wittel battle. That would have been an awesome race between three equal cars. Would have made for some good photos. Guess we will have to wait for the ARRC.

Seth-

Can't remember whether I gave you congratulations at the track. Not a bad way to start out in your new car, eh?

[This message has been edited by Bryan Watts (edited May 14, 2003).]

Bryan,

Thanks man. You did congratulate me after the race. It was a good way to start out in the car. Thank goodness Bimmerworld knows how to build a good car. That was only my second time there and I wasn't expecting those results.

Originally posted by Seth Thomas:
    Oh don't worry we weren't cheating. But I would have loved to have the York/Thomas/Wittel battle.
    Me too. Who built the motor that blew up in the #10 car?

------------------
    katman

the car's owner built it along with a shop outside DC. I hope is wasn't as bad as it sounded. brian was bummed.

marshall
    the yellow e30 its car

PS....

SETH RULES!!!!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by mlytle:
    the car's owner built it along with a shop outside DC. I hope is wasn't as bad as it sounded. brian was bummed.

marshall
    the yellow e30 its car

Hey Marshall, it was fun pestering you with that Miata I was driving during the ITS/ITA race. BTW don't know if you knew this or not but that #10 car was my old car and I can assure you I had nothing to do with building the motor. I don't exactly know how to do that. It was however born up by DC by CS as you said. It was a great car for me and a killer motor. I was proud as parent could be watching Chet get the pole by over a second in my baby. I think I was happier than he was. : )

Robbie
    #60 SM
    #19 SM
    #10 ITS (retired)

doh! i mixed up the cars that blew their engines....i was thinking of brian shipman's car, not your old one...brian's blew in the last lap of sundays race.

and yes, it was fun being pestered by you! each time i thought i had a gap starting i would blow it going down into oak tree and you would be on my bumper again!

marshall