Thread: engine

Default engine

Can anyone tell me if I can put an engine from a 1975 2002 into my 1979 320i. The engine from the 2002 is carbureted and the 320i is k-jetronics fuel injection. If not are the heads interchangeable? The 2002 is a e12 and the head on the 320i is a e21.

zracer22 Guest

The answer is NO on all accounts. You can only swap engines from cars on the same line in the GCR. Even if the bottom end is the same you still cant take the block from the 2002 and put the 320 head on it.

My guess is that the inquiry had nothing to do with racing rules, but just "can it work?"

Of course, I don't have the answer. I think it can...and I believe people have put 318 heads onto 2002 blocks (to get the fuel injection).

The real question is why?

Dan

The reason why is. The e21 head on my 320i needs replacing and I can buy the engine with the e12 head for only $200.00 and it comes with a tranny.

I want to enter my 320i in ITb class but I understand it's not very competitive. Does anyone have any thoughts on this?

zracer22 said it: The point that you want to run in IT, you can't swap parts between models - legally, that is.

Kirk