Thread: off topic question about street E36 suspension

Default off topic question about street E36 suspension

Hi, sorry to be a little off topic here but the knowledge is SO much better here than any other forum I have looked at so I thought I'd ask: What is the "best" compromise street suspension for a '94 325iS? I'm looking for primarily street driving with an ocasional autocross or track day. Will Eibach Pro-Kit springs and the Bilstein Sports be too harsh for the street? I'm also thinking of going with the adjustable Racing Dynamics swaybars. Or does anyone know anything about the Tokico Illumina package of dampers and springs, or the new Bilstein Touring dampers, or Konis, or... SO many choices. I'm looking a night firm feel on the street but not so stiff as to be irritating on a highway cruise for a couple of hours (or down to daytona for the 24 hours!) Thanks very much for your suggestions...

Originally posted by evanwebb:
    Hi, sorry to be a little off topic here but the knowledge is SO much better here than any other forum I have looked at so I thought I'd ask: What is the "best" compromise street suspension for a '94 325iS? I'm looking for primarily street driving with an ocasional autocross or track day. Will Eibach Pro-Kit springs and the Bilstein Sports be too harsh for the street? I'm also thinking of going with the adjustable Racing Dynamics swaybars. Or does anyone know anything about the Tokico Illumina package of dampers and springs, or the new Bilstein Touring dampers, or Konis, or... SO many choices. I'm looking a night firm feel on the street but not so stiff as to be irritating on a highway cruise for a couple of hours (or down to daytona for the 24 hours!) Thanks very much for your suggestions...

I ran Billstein sports on my e36 M3 for quite a while on the street and some autox duty at the time. The ride was just fine. The thing that will affect the feel the most will be your choice of spring rates. I think I was somewhere in the 3-400 range at the most and it felt great. The sways won't hurt the ride feel much at all but you'll definately feel it when you need it. ie. your favorite twisty back road.

Robbie

Robbie sorry to bud in on another post, but could you get back to my emails when you have, thanks, I really appreciate it.

And on topic, it matters what your application is, how hard you drive on the street, what you plan to do in the future, and how the roads are on that you normally drive. Also what kinf od comfort level you want. Peace

Bilstein Sports are killer shocks, not too tight, and very durable. My favorite suspension is a coilover conversion with reasonable spring rates so you can enjoy them on the street. Swaybar setup like our ITS cars - it works on everything! Call me with more questions or technical reasoning.

------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    James Clay
    http://www.bimmerworld.com
    Engineered BMW Performance
    World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
    Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
    (540) 639-9648
    -----------------------------------------------------------