Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 320i

I have found the people to be a tremendous part of racing, next to driving, the best part. Possibly the best part, the last race I was at my car would not start 20 minutes before the race, the guys paddocked next to me came over to give me a hand. Had those guys not helped I might have missed the race, while we tried to find the problem I figured I was done but did not mind too much because I felt so glad to have these eager generous people helping me out. It meant ALOT to me and hopefully they got my appreciation, to them it was just another day at the races. Ha! I love this sport. I could give many more examples. I guess with anything it is the people who make it great. Good luck and enjoy!!

lilwillie, where are you located? I'm about 20 minutes from BFR in WI.

WannabeITB, I'm in Mazomanie, 20 miles west of Madison on Highway 14. We are only famous for one thing in Mazo, our nude beach on the Wisconsin River

We have a independent auto repair facility located just on the edge of town, Willies Repair, my father and I are the owners/operators.

If your 20 miles on the WI side from Blackhawk you must be a little north of Beloit?

Janesville, actually, but good guess! My brother owns a small construction co. in Mazo. I'll have to come up and check out your shop, especially if you have 320's lying around. I work in Madison, on the east side.

On a sad note, the 320 deal I thought I was getting fell through. The guy found something he traded for. Dammit.

Robb

[This message has been edited by WannaBITB (edited October 16, 2002).]

Concerning the 320i. The 77-79 model is heavier, has a 2 liter and a 4 speed tranny. The 80-83 is several hundred pounds lighter, has a 1.8 liter and a 5 speed. As a result, they produce very similar results.

WannaBITB, what's the construction companies name, I'll bet I will know them if they are in Mazo.

I have family in Janesville, small world huh? If where this close I'm sure we will bump into each other sometime.

If I keep piling the 320s' into the back lot there's gonna be no room for all the other projects on the backburner.

The curb weight is 2480lbs. The GCRs state that weight needs to be 2510lbs.

Originally posted by rbreed:
    Concerning the 320i. The 77-79 model is heavier, has a 2 liter and a 4 speed tranny. The 80-83 is several hundred pounds lighter, has a 1.8 liter and a 5 speed. As a result, they produce very similar results.

Ok, I found another one, but the guys says the shifter bushings are shot, and it won't go into gear properly. Does that sound like a common problem, and how hard is it to fix? I will have to go quite a way to get this thing sight-unseen, and don't want to have it undriveable when I get there. Will I be able to fix it on the spot, or will that require a extensive tear-down to get at the problem area? The guy says he has all the fix-it parts. TIA!

Robb

WannaBIT,

I would suggest getting a tow dolly or a trailer. Shifter problems you'll want to get the driveshaft out of the way to repair properly. Not something you want to do laying in someones driveway.

Plus if it's a long drive the likelyhood of a breakdown is high (Murphys Law).

The time it would take to repair on site compared to renting a truck trailer from U-haul would ake me want to rent.

Where abouts do you have to go? Don't worry, I won't buy it out form you, I've got to many projects going right now. If it's close maybe we can figure something out.

In springfield, Oh. About 8-9 hours from us. Any suggestions?

That far, definetaly rent a truck or trailer if you don't have any available. No use driving that far and have to work on it to get it home. If anything, take a buddy with, and make sure the local U-haul has a trailer available if you have a truck to pull it with. Or just rent a truck and trailer. Well worth it for such a long drive to check out a vehicle.

I'm going to go look at a car this weekend. If it's worth buying I've got a trailer lined up only 2 blocks from the address it's at. Rental dolly from a U-haul. If I don't buy no big deal, I'm not out anything, just cancel the trailer.

Good luck, wish it was closer, if you are ever in the area look me up.