Thread: Daily driving BMW 3 series

Default Daily driving BMW 3 series

I actually race a CRX in ITA and would like to ask street question for you guys. I am looking for a daily driving street car, minimum requirement is that its RWD, as I'd like to experience the difference of RWD to FWD. Although I would like to own a classic japanese sportscar (Z, celica, 7) and would settle for a beater, I'm also thinking on the other side of the spectrum to get a nicer vehicle that isnt older than me and only half my age (240sx, BMW 3 E30+).

So, can you guys comment on the sportiness of non-M model BMW coupe, like 320es or a 318i? Reliability, maintenence and robustness are a factor. Or are non gutted and race prepped BMW's sluggish and overweight with incapable sporty suspension? (knowing me, ill probably upgrade the suspension anyway)

Thanks
    Tyson

My choices, probably in order of both price and preference are:
    89-91 325i
    87-88 325i
    90-91 318is
    325/325e
    84-85 318i

The 325i can be faster than the E30 M3 due to torque. I like the 318is also - similar in feel to the M3, but with less power.

All are very capable with stock or aftermarket suspension - most E30 cars are very similar in character. Power is the biggest factor.

------------------
    -----------------------------------------------------------
    James Clay
    http://www.bimmerworld.com
    Engineered BMW Performance
    World Challenge/SCCA/BMWCCA Racecar Rental
    Genuine OEM and Used BMW Parts
    (540) 639-9648
    -----------------------------------------------------------

Thanks for your input. Would you recommend an early E36 coupe? Is it worth it (mechanically) to buy the newer BMW?