Thread: ITS/E30,ITB/30 or SM

Default ITS/E30,ITB/30 or SM

I going to start building or purchase a car soon and was wondering if I could get some insight on at least two of this cars.
    1. Would you(knowing what you know now)
    build an ITS/e30 or ITB/e30?
    2. Money is a major object so, what would
    be the cheaper car to maintain and race?
    (probably the ITB car right?)
    Thanks
    Scott

Great question...

The e30 325 is competitive in 90% of the ITS groups nationwide, a trip to the ARRC might be a little demoralizing, but the e30 325 is a real drivers car, OK brakes that will last the race and a motor that just pulls a sweetly as any ever... I love these cars.

The e30 318 is a dog, but that doesn't matter, the motor is possibly an over built engine that can take allot of abuse, and that's what you'll need to do, you'll have to flogg the poor thing to get to the front, but shave the head, deck the block, get your allowed compression ratio increase, get someone with some 318 knowledge and go from there. A smaller brake - but it won't matter.

Remember that both of these cars are twins, or the red-headed step children to the e30 M3, so 90% of the race parts for M3's will fit this car.

If you are willing to drive like a crazy man, either car would be fun.

Expense? close...

K

What year would be a good year to build for ITS and 2 door or 4 door??????
    Louis B.

I can attest to the fact that building a car is very expensive and time consuming. Although its big fun.

If your plan is to have racing as your hobby rather than car building and tuning, then go buy a car that is already set up. If you're looking to timker, either 318 or 325 would be fine. I have a 1989 325is that is IT-S ready after a summer of work. It will not be competitive for another couple of years as I slowly add the components that wil make it go fast. here's my 2 cents.

The 87-91 is supposed to be the better, but the updating and backdating rules almost negate any advantages of certain years.

2 or 4 door? Not sure that it really matters, the e36's are better in 4 door (stiffer) and the e30 2 doors are better because you can make minimum weight more easily.

Personally I like 4 door racecars, as you can more easily use the back of the car for storage and transportation, but I'm cheap and have very little of both.

From the classified section of this web site.

2001 ICSCC EIP Championship car. $15,000 obo

1987 325is e30 race car professionally build in 1994. This car can be raced in SCCA ITS or EP and ICSCC SPM, RS, EIP, ITS or the new PRO3 classes. It has previous logs books for SCCA, ICSCC and NASA.

I won the ICSCC EIP championship with this car and set two track records in the EIP class at Spokane and Mission race tracks. This is the fastest e30 in the Northwest.

It has 3 sets of wheels, 3 differentials a 3.73, 4.11 and 4.44 and many other extras.

This is a very completive, well setup, maintained and sorted car.

You ask why I’m selling it: I’m changing classes for the 2002 season.

Derek Smith (425) 330 6833 or [email protected]

------------------

how hard is it to find descent competition worthy engines for these cars?

Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    how hard is it to find descent competition worthy engines for these cars?
    HORY CLAP!! We came *SO* close to letting this one topic stay dead a whole decade...and you had to go revive it!!!

DAMMIT!!! Now we gotta wait another whole decade!

Actually there is a third choice...the 84-87 325e...this car runs ITA and is a very reliable under-stressed motor that make competitive power. Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

i decided to abandon my plans of building my s2000 into ITR in favor of buying a ready IT car and am strongly considering the e30 due to its large displacement

are all e30 chassis the same. i.e., can i put a b25 motor into a 84-87 325e and run in whatever class the b25 belongs in?

chuck, how much power do you think you can squeeze out of a b27 motor. i read they are detuned and come with softer retainers/springs and very mild cams. this poses the question of how much power is there really to be had with these motors and how reliable the valve train will be if pushed hard(high rpm)

can these e30 cars win? although i didn't start racing yet and surely do not have the skill to win, i am very competitive and winning will definitely become the the objective at some point. i don't want to go with a platform that will force me to switch in order to be competitive.

You nailed the question on whether you can put the 2.5 or the 2.7 or the 1.8 in and run S or A. Chassis has to be the same, meaning you can't 'ceate a car." On a TR7 for example, I'd have to add the battery tray to the trunk but other than that the later shells are identical to TR8s.

Are the E30s competitive? I've seen Chuck's dyno plot and won't disclose the numbers here but let's just say power is decent and torque is out of this world. Chuck's car is reliable and very fast.

I also think the ITS E30 is overlooked because of the E36. Harold Corbin's was very fast (heard he sold it for an RX7 though), and Matt Reppert in Atlanta also has a fast one. Good power, brakes, chassis.

Good luck. I think it is a good, overlooked choice, although Chuck (and Harold) have been proving them wrong the last few years.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom R View Post
    i decided to abandon my plans of building my s2000 into ITR in favor of buying a ready IT car and am strongly considering the e30 due to its large displacement

are all e30 chassis the same. i.e., can i put a b25 motor into a 84-87 325e and run in whatever class the b25 belongs in?

chuck, how much power do you think you can squeeze out of a b27 motor. i read they are detuned and come with softer retainers/springs and very mild cams. this poses the question of how much power is there really to be had with these motors and how reliable the valve train will be if pushed hard(high rpm)

can these e30 cars win? although i didn't start racing yet and surely do not have the skill to win, i am very competitive and winning will definitely become the the objective at some point. i don't want to go with a platform that will force me to switch in order to be competitive.
    NC Region
    1980 ITS Triumph TR8

Amen for the 325e in ITA. I had '85 eta back in my post-college days and LOVED it. A friend is building one currently for ITA in the northeast (NARRC) but might possibly go to Spec30 eventually with a 2.5i. Regardless, the eta motor has tons of potential and one day I hope to see Chuck's in action that is if I am good enough draft up on his rear bumper.

Mickey (another Honda guy...)
    Demetrius Mossaidis aka 'Mickey' #12 ITA NESCCA
    '92 Honda Civic Si
    STFU and "Then write a letter. www.crbscca.com"
    2013 ITA NARRC Champion and I have not raced since.

Tried to get Harold to work on his suspension but he choose to change cars. Matt and I worked on his spring/bar set up at RA last race and I think we have made his already fast car better. The chassis is extremely tunable and forgiving and a real hoot to drive. (Has to be for this old man to drive it) Good choice for "A" or "S". Chuck
    Chuck Baader
    White EP BMW M-Techniq
    I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by chuck baader View Post
    Actually there is a third choice...the 84-87 325e...this car runs ITA and is a very reliable under-stressed motor that make competitive power. Chuck
    I can testify to that, from behind the wheel and from being passed........Sweeeeeeet

I won the ICSCC EIP championship with this car and set two track records in the EIP class at Spokane and Mission race tracks.
    I'm here, you over there and in the middle is tiffany jewelry.
    While there is life, there is hope tiffany jewelry cheap.

Interesting option with the 325e... those are cheaper and easier to find than even the 318s around my neck of the woods.