Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Oil Metering Pump

Well folks - thanks to the diligence of FlatOut, the car is fixed, pending some additional testing. But it basically sounds repaired since we've been able to recreate the problem in the garage.

While we replaced the coils with other used coils, returning the coils back to the originals seems to have made the repair. Many other things were done to the car so who knows - another fix may be in the mix of things, where the coil swapout created another situation. Only the test at the track will tell, but Nick had the car into third gear (cops after him with his hair on fire). Another round of tests at the track and I'm ready for LRP on 8/5.

Originally posted by C. Ludwig:

When the OMP goes bad it's possible for them to take the ECU out with it. Haven't confirmed this but it's well rumored. Changing to a known good OMP won't always cure the problem without also changing to a known good ECU.

Another intersting note - before this problem occured - After I had replaced the OMP at home - I was running the car at about 2500 RPM to warm the motor before going out to practice and ZAP! - bright white light comes out of the ECU - fried. It fried on a square component on the circuit board near the wire connections - front left of the box when looking at the plug receptacles. It was a black rectangular thing. No damage to wiring. The circuit board looked like the frazzle occured where the wiring diagram indicated wires leading to - guess what - OMP and injectors. Rusty brain tells me it was 3T, 3U, 3V area on the box.

So back to Chris' point - OMP might take down the ECU.

I wanted to provide a most positive update on the plight of my #33 RX7. After testing the car all day at LRP with Flatout Motorsports, it was clear they did an oustanding job of diagnosing the problem and curing it. A combination of new OMP, dash and engine wiring harnesses and computer did the trick. We suspect that a series of bad OMPs were the cause and that these fried the computer and possible parts of the harness. They dyno tuned to the car and it was making HUGE power.

Not only was the car cured Flatout provided excellent trackside support during the test day. Both myself and Eric King, a quick RX7 shoe, had our cars continuosly improved throughout the day by a sequence of incremental chassis improvements until Eric was able to run a 1:02 flat - his best time by 1.5 seconds! The pricing for this was very reasoanble - I don't think the level of support and knowledge could be matched.

If you want to run quicker times and run up front - give Nick and Adam a call at 978-501-3096.

This is unsolicited from these guys - just my total satisfaction with great service and support.

------------------
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITS RX7
    BigSpeed Racing
    NNJR BoD - Treasurer
    [email protected]
    NNJR

Uh, I guess you don't want to say how much power - eh?

Like many if not most RX-7 electrical/fuel glitches, yours was solved by changing everything you can think of, and never knowing for sure what it was. Damn these things! But we love em, right?

------------------
    Bill Denton
    87/89 ITS RX-7
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

This is just reason #325 that I feel the ECU rule should be opened up to allow free reign of modification to the electronics and the wiring harness. For $1500 someone can purchase, have installed, and have a baseline tune with a brand new Haltech EMS through myself. I'm guessing Ben's bill for repairs would be in that neighborhood and he's still using stock electronics that are known to be problematic.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Guest_Benspeed_* Guest

Originally posted by C. Ludwig@Aug 4 2005, 10:34 AM
    This is just reason #325 that I feel the ECU rule should be opened up to allow free reign of modification to the electronics and the wiring harness. For $1500 someone can purchase, have installed, and have a baseline tune with a brand new Haltech EMS through myself. I'm guessing Ben's bill for repairs would be in that neighborhood and he's still using stock electronics that are known to be problematic.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv
    [snapback]49236[/snapback]

The bill was north of that, but very reasonable considering how much work was done. I would think that a Haltec would make life infinitely easier working on these cars.

Not only did Flatout set me right - I won my first race this weekend. The setup I got from Flatout had me hooked up!

Charles Buzzetti Guest

Well this topic could not have come at a better time.
    I raced at Laguna Seca last weekend and experienced limp mode and high RPM breakup (at different times) in my 89 ITS for most of the weekend. I changed coils, CAS, ECU, AFM, plugs and wires. Only to have these problems come up at different times during the weekend.
    I ended up turning the key off then back on while driving and the problem would clear up until the next lap at the same spot.
    I had the fastest lap of the weekend for ITS by .78 seconds, just could never get the car to run clean for a whole session.
    Now I at least have an idea of where to turn.
    Thanks for the info.

Charles Buzzetti

Congrats Ben! You da man!

I knew it was only a matter of time. See you at NHIS soon.
    Tim Estes
    ITS 1989 RX-7
    NER

Originally posted by tims90rx7@Aug 11 2005, 03:04 AM
    Congrats Ben! You da man!

I knew it was only a matter of time. See you at NHIS soon.
    [snapback]58216[/snapback]
    I'll be up for the September double - you got your chance to retake second in the points during August!

Looking forward to that double - I'll come up for the test day to see if I can get down into the 14s.
    BenSpeed
    #33 ITR Porsche 968
    BigSpeed Racing
    2013 ITR Pro IT Champion
    2014 NE Division ITR Champion