Thread: Mazda Contigency

Default Mazda Contigency

I was just looking at the contingency awards program from Mazda and it seems that they offer awards for National, Pro, Solo I, and II, Drag Racing and even Formula Drift but not Regional racing. Am I the only one that thinks this is a bit unfair?

I certainly appreciate the racer discount we get, but how does Drift Racing get more attention than us regional drivers? I realize that it's more inthe public eye but I still think that it's a bit unfair.

------------------
    Paul D'Angelo
    73 ITS CENDIV
    Indy Region
    http://www.iridiumracing.com

Paul, we have the hook firmly in the lip. Mazda is trying to hook the Drift folks.

Things we have ZERO control over we need to forget.

Have Fun
    David

"how does Drift Racing get more attention than us regional drivers? I realize that it's more inthe public eye"

I think you answered your own question, Paul. :-)

------------------
    Bill Denton
    87/89 ITS RX-7
    02 Audi TT225QC
    95 Tahoe
    Memphis

I was at the Drift Atlanta event this weekend and there were more spectators than I've seen at the ARRC or any other SCCA event at Road Atlanta in the last few years.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA

What was your take - Fad, or trend? I've never seen it, live. Does it keep your attention for hour after hour?

------------------
    Dave Youngren
    NER ITA RX7 #61

Actually, it looks like fun from a pure "drive it like it's rented" standpoint. On the other hand, even though it is being touted as being "the next big thing" by the Rebellious Youth of America (RYoA) it is likely to have the staying power of the Hula Hoop or perhaps even the "Pet Rock". Lots of folks jumping on the bandwagon to sell product to the impressionable young fans, but ultimately it has some serious limitations. It has all of the appeal to the general public of street racing (since that's where the aforementioned RYoA like to practice) with it's inherent danger to those innocently attempting to drive to work with a measure of safety. It CONSUMES tires, which means sourcing a large number of new, used, or even stolen tires that sometimes don't even last a session. The top cars are typically hi-buck, high-tech, awesome works of mechanical art. The local drifters typically have THRASHED nasty looking cars that pick up more body damage nearly everytime they drift. Personally, I just can't see it bridging to the mainstream. I remember the last generation of RYoA claiming that everyone would forget all about those stodgy old traditional sports like football and baseball when Ultimate Frisbee became mainstream......I think drifting is about like that.

I wouldn't discount its staying power if there's the possibilty of m@d BoDy dAmAgE YO!

Jarrod

Originally posted by Boswoj:
    The top cars are typically hi-buck, high-tech, awesome works of mechanical art. The local {racers} typically have THRASHED nasty looking cars that pick up more body damage nearly everytime they {race}

Hmmm... why does that sound familiar???

------------------
    Scott Rhea
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Izzy's Custom Cages

"Hmmm... why does that sound familiar??? "

ROFLMAO.

-chuck-

Originally posted by dyoungre:
    What was your take - Fad, or trend? I've never seen it, live. Does it keep your attention for hour after hour?

It was like going to the NHRA Nationals.
    Pretty cool at first, but after a while it's just cars doing the exact same thing, each one for a few seconds, one after the other.
    It's pretty cool to watch and I bet it's a lot of fun to do, but I kind of got bored after a while of seeing the same thing.

------------------
    Ony Anglade
    ITA Miata
    Sugar Hill, GA