Thread: Miata - ITA

Default Miata - ITA

I am seriously considering entering ITA within a year or 2. My goal is to race a similar to SpecMiata Kit with an IT engine.

Any ideas if a Spec Miata is a good base from which to create an IT car?

With Spec Miata going to a national class, I would build a spec Miata. That being said, a spec Miata suspension is ok to start with in IT. But it is a long way off if you want to be really competitive. Just my opinion.

Eric

The biggest issue with the SM suspension is the crappy shocks.

Drop about 50lbs or so on the front rate, stay about the same in the rear but disconnect the swaybar, get some good konis, and voila, you have a shot at the front of the pack!

Now if I could just find a little more horsepower....

Bowie Gray
    ITA Miata #13

I have a Miata set up for Sts2 and you just outlined my suspension, except I need a bit more front end spring by the sounds of it.

Thanks guys.

I switched to ITA last year from SM and Bret De Pedro switched to ITA with his Miata this year. At VIR this past weekend I took 2nd place on Saturday and Brett took 1st Sunday (I came in 3rd Sunday). The Miata is very strong in ITA if built well.

As for suspension, I found changing the bushings to be a HUGE difference. The engine is important, but really the handling is what makes the car strong in ITA and the stock bushings are simply not stiff enough. I'm still sorting the car out and need to improve my driving, but IMO the Miata can easily be a consistent ITA winner.

Oh, and at MARRS I Brett took 1st place and set a track record with his Miata.

Bill

Yeah guys in CSP and STS they are finding that the bushings are an improvement also. Anytime that the Miata suspension is kept pointing the right way, the car is more capable of keeping the tires on the road getting the most out those tires. So it seems.

Did you go with Delrin or Poly?

Congratulations on the weekend races

Down here in the Southeast, the Miata is a proven winner in ITA.

I won the SARRC Championship in '01 and '02 in mine, and Mike VanSteenberg won in '04 in his. The car is great at twisty tracks, and nearly unbeatable somewhere like Roebling Road.

The weakness in ITA for the Miata is tracks with long straights. We can make about the same hp as a good CRX, but they have about the same frontal area but GREATLY reduced drag numbers. The Miata just runs out of steam about the middle of 4th gear. You can draft and stay with the pack, but heaven forbid you try to be the front car, or go it alone!

The Miata handles better than any other ITA contender, and can be flogged senseless without running out of tires and brakes. If I can find a little more power, I hope to break into the top 3 at the ARRC.

We'll see.

Oh, and to answer the question asked earlier, I went with Delrin bushings. Walt Puckett made them for me.

I went with the Delrin.