Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: spec tire for it-7

Does anyone know what happened with the Spec Tire porposal at the SEDIV meeting this weekend. I had heard it was on the agenda to be discussed.

C'mon, Mike! You know who's who and what's what down there! Share some info with the rest of us! The suspense is....well, ok, it's not killing me...lets just say I'm, 'curious'.....

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

all though not ther i heard it passed.

Originally posted by instigator:
    are you asking for the tire sring rate?
    i can tell you that the car with hoosier has a 350lb front spring and the car that runs toyos has a 375lb spring in the front
    So if I understand you correctly, in order to get to the mythical $1K swap over cost, you needed to get new shocks - or at least revalve correct?

All for a 25lb change in spring rate (375 vs. 350)?

Both brands of competition shocks I have experience with (Bilstein and Koni) are valved off the shelf to handle up to 500lb springs. I guess I would never think a shock change was needed for such a small spring rate change...can we scratch that one off the list?

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITA project SM 1.6
    Spec Miata 1.8
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

no the present shock on the car needing the chang has carera and when speaking with them here in chamble ga. there sugestion is to revalve or replace due to tire and sring chang to accomplise my present jounce and rebound.well i gues i could change to billstien or koni so ethier way the cost is still there.

Since this doesn't actually effect me and I feel like causing some trouble today, allow me to translate the following:

Originally posted by instigator:
    no the present shock on the car needing the chang has carera and when speaking with them here in chamble ga. there sugestion is to revalve or replace due to tire and sring chang to accomplise my present jounce and rebound.well i gues i could change to billstien or koni so ethier way the cost is still there.
    Translation to American (from Instigatese):

No, the present shock on the car needing the change has Carrera and, when speaking with them here in Chamble, GA, their suggestion is to revalve or replace due to tire and spring changes to maintain my present jounce and rebound. Well, I guess I could change to Bilstein or Koni so either way the cost is still there.

/translation

I'll be submitting this to Google so they can work on a translator for the Americans. I don't think they need to worry about going from American to Instigatese, though...

------------------
    Bill
    Planet 6 Racing
    bill (at) planet6racing (dot) com

Bill- Waaaaay too much time on your hands.
    Ray

Maybe I'm just a bit synical (sp?) but when you go to your local race shock salesman and state that you have changed something on the car (tires in this case) and want to know what to do with the shocks to make the car like it was before ----OF course any salesman worth his or her salt will suggest spending more money on their product. (right now)----"...when speaking with them here in Chamble, GA, their suggestion is to revalve or replace ..." ---Unless you have reams of reams of on track data collected including shock response rates under actual racing conditions ( race temperatures ) that is specific to the geometry (radius, banking and speed) of each specific track ---I would speculate that any suggested changes by the shock salesman would be at best the proverbial "educated" guess-and at worst a " blind shot into the dark "--and nothing more---Individual Driver style can play into car response so much that to spend any money on revalving shocks, changing spring rates, and or sway bar size/settings without 1st assessing a new base line (test day) with the new tires and the specific Driver that has logged many hrs of test time with the current car set up would not be a wise (financial) decision for the car developer but could be a wonderful ($$) decision for the Shock salesperson. Just another 2 cents worth from a club racer

Note to Instigator---please return the ballot that you were sent---votes will still be counted for the final talley, but not forever.

Maybe I'm just a bit synical (sp?) but when you go to your local race shock salesman and state that you have changed something on the car (tires in this case) and want to know what to do with the shocks to make the car like it was before ----OF course any salesman worth his or her salt will suggest spending more money on their product. (right now)----"...when speaking with them here in Chamble, GA, their suggestion is to revalve or replace ..." ---Unless you have reams of reams of on track data collected including shock response rates under actual racing conditions ( race temperatures ) that is specific to the geometry (radius, banking and speed) of each specific track ---I would speculate that any suggested changes by the shock salesman would be at best the proverbial "educated" guess-and at worst a " blind shot into the dark "--and nothing more---Individual Driver style can play into car response so much that to spend any money on revalving shocks, changing spring rates, and or sway bar size/settings without 1st assessing a new base line (test day) with the new tires and the specific Driver that has logged many hrs of test time with the current car set up would not be a wise (financial) decision for the car developer but could be a wonderful ($$) decision for the Shock salesperson. Just another 2 cents worth from a club racer

Leegrx7
    I checked with my wife she said she sent it off monday. Hope it gets their soon.

Lee you make a good point.Carrera no longer sales strut insert for my application.They recommended either sending them out to get revalved or changing to another brand .Changing to another brand means getting a new strut tube assemble and insert the carrera has a shorter insert than the bilstines. they also recomend try to change just the sway bar and sring rates.Will see it is as little as 500 plus rear gear or 1000 to change to another brand of strut.

rear grear ? Since toyos only come in size I will have to compensate. Hoosier have the 50 series and 45 series tiers toyos only have 60 series. Although close to the 50 series hoosier an extra gear will be nessary for certaint tracks. Thanks for sending the ballot.Hope the spelling and punctuation is right for the forum.

[This message has been edited by instigator (edited January 26, 2005).]

I am in the southeast division and will be running the Toyo RA-1 (they have been voted in as the spec tire) and would love some advice. i was running the hoosier; however, i only made one race last season.... from looking at their website, the widest tire they offer is a 205 60 13. if this is what you run, i would love some advice (pressures, camber, caster, etc). thanks. if you dont want to post it here, you could email me [email protected]. thanks.
    Originally posted by joeracerx95:
    I have no skin in the game on this. I'm just providing some data for you folks to ponder.

In CalClub Pro7 we run a spec Toyo RA1, 205/60/13. I have found that I can run these Toyos scrubbed, half worn or near the cords and my results this year have been the same regardless. I took 10 out of 11 poles and won 10 out of 11 races. Toyos really are consistent from new until cords are showing. They also last a long time (at least compared to Kumho). Want to drop a thousand or two out of your racing budget next year without affecting how much fun and success you can have? Go with a spec Toyo.

Originally posted by afav74:
    I am in the southeast division and will be running the Toyo RA-1 (they have been voted in as the spec tire)
    Interesting....

SO.....the votes are in and the Toyo is the tire!

Cool..

I WISH we had IT-7 up here in the NE, and we could vote on such a thing as well!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]