Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast

Thread: spec tire for it-7

ok i will go back and rewrite this to satisfy the form. I find no threat in drop this issue. I do find it puzzling that any one would. i belive that it shows a members opinion in how disappionted he is in the whole process and the fact no one has made an attempt to place other choices on the ballot that were less expensive and it also shows the lack of research on this issue.

instigator, the signature may say a lot about you. If you have a desire to be taken seriously try using a real name when you post.

Have Fun
    David Dewhurst
    CenDiv ITA/7 #14

do not judge abook by its cover

Originally posted by instigator:
    Eagle 7
    if you wish to be an english major or teacher I am sure the school systems could use you. Read the words. I have full confidence in you desifering the message.

I have received several phone calls from those who figured out the words ,and have recieved a very positve respons from them

Drop the issue, refers to the spec tire issue
    Thank you very much. Seriously. This really was very much easier to read and I appreciate it.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

crazyshoe Guest

Heres my two cents. I'd throw in more money but I could only find two pennies on the floor.

I'm all for a spec tire. I've been racing IT-7 for about four years I guess. I love the class and I've met some great people. My only complaint has been the car count. I love to race but its just not that much fun when theres only a couple cars. Not that its like that at every race but the car count certainly has dwindled since I started. I think a spec tire would definately encourage a lot of people to come out and race. It would even the field out a little too and make for better racing. I think it would be great for the class. I just feel that there are far more positives than negatives when it comes to a spec tire rule. I could care less what tire it is as long as its reasonably priced. As far as the ballot goes, everyone that I talked to voted yes. I sure did, I would again anyday of the week. Even if I didn't race in this class I still would because I think it will greatly benefit a lot of the people who race IT-7. But thats just my opinion.

As far as Toyos, thats all I run most of the time. They are a great tire and will last a very long time. My favorite thing is they only get better with age. I prefer a well worn toyo to a sticker anyday. I think it would be a great choice but then again I'm partial because Ive been running them since I started.

theres my two cents. proofread it if you want too. Im not an english teacher.

------------------
    Jeff Ryan
    SeDiv IT7 #47
    "My tires are gone, the brakes are shot, but the nitrous I still got"

I have seen one or two comments that the ballot mailed to the SEDIV IT-7 drivers as to a spec tire simply had two parts to it? "toyo" or "no toyo"? Is that true? If so I am a little concerned as a RE asked to vote on this issue that the ballot (if the above is true) was so biased or skewed in its presentation to the drivers. A ballot on this issue should list all the popular tires run (with the option of a multiple tire spec) in SEDIV on IT-7 or give an "open" tire rule selection. It was run that way on the SM spec tire issue for SEDIV. Can anyone confirm this?

Barry H.

[This message has been edited by apexingsupra (edited January 15, 2005).]

Barry-----In an effort to offer an uncomplicated choice to the SEDiv IT7 drivers, the IT7 Spec tire ballot offered basically two choices--

--A) support the adoption of the TOYO Proxes RA1 as the spec tire for IT7 in SEDiv

OR

Reject this suggestion and leave the status-quo in place (change nothing and use what ever tire you wish)

Choosing the TOYO for the ballot choice was not an arbitrary decision----discussions with the drivers over a 2-3 year time period revealed that TOYO was in fact already being used by many drivers and was the preferred choice (for economic and wear reasons) for many other drivers who were actually using other more expesive (reportably faster) tires in their quest to stay competitive. A lot of time and effort went into developing the ballot choices for this effort. The initial "trial balloons" on "which tire would be the best spec tire choice" (2-3 yrs of discussion) pointed strongly towards the TOYO choice. Toyo's are cheaper than most, have a long racing life through many many heat cycles, stay consistant down to the cords (some drivers actually claim the tires get better as they approach the cords!! ) , TOYO's are readidly available in the retail market and Toyo's have "at the track" support in SEDiv.

The recent vote taken among SEDiv IT7 drivers confirmed the thought of the initial "trial Balloons"---Support for the TOYO as a spec tire for SEDiv IT7 is overwhelming. At last count the ballots from the SEDiv IT7 drivers indicated that they support the TOYO Proxes RA1 as a spec tire for IT7 by a 5 to 1 margin in favor

lfg
    Chair SEDiv IT-7 ad hoc Committee

Barry-----In an effort to offer an uncomplicated choice to the SEDiv IT7 drivers, the IT7 Spec tire ballot offered basically two choices--

--A) support the adoption of the TOYO Proxes RA1 as the spec tire for IT7 in SEDiv

OR

Reject this suggestion and leave the status-quo in place (change nothing and use what ever tire you wish)

Choosing the TOYO for the ballot choice was not an arbitrary decision----discussions with the drivers over a 2-3 year time period revealed that TOYO was in fact already being used by many drivers and was the preferred choice (for economic and wear reasons) for many other drivers who were actually using other more expesive (reportably faster) tires in their quest to stay competitive. A lot of time and effort went into developing the ballot choices for this effort. The initial "trial balloons" on "which tire would be the best spec tire choice" (2-3 yrs of discussion) pointed strongly towards the TOYO choice. Toyo's are cheaper than most, have a long racing life through many many heat cycles, stay consistant down to the cords (some drivers actually claim the tires get better as they approach the cords!! ) , TOYO's are readidly available in the retail market and Toyo's have "at the track" support in SEDiv.

The recent vote taken among SEDiv IT7 drivers confirmed the thought of the initial "trial Balloons"---Support for the TOYO as a spec tire for SEDiv IT7 is overwhelming. At last count the ballots from the SEDiv IT7 drivers indicated that they support the TOYO Proxes RA1 as a spec tire for IT7 by a 5 to 1 margin in favor

lfg
    Chair SEDiv IT-7 ad hoc Committee

if you wish to choose a spec tire for those who are economicaly in clined, face this most of us who run the hoosier will have to spend aprox $1000 dollars to rework our supension for this change. i do not find the saving in this . i believe our i.t. stands for improved touring not spec .if you want a spec class make s.i.t.7 your new class "sec improved touring rx7" thank you for sending me the ballot i got it today looks like to late for the meeting.

Sorry for the triple post

[This message has been edited by Mike Guenther (edited January 20, 2005).]

I have to check my browser settings.

[This message has been edited by Mike Guenther (edited January 20, 2005).]

$1000 to rework the suspension for a tire change? You gotta be kidding yourself. I've run Kuhmos, Toyos and Hoosiers and maybe changed camber, maybe not, maybe a shock setting, maybe not. I sure didn't spend any money except for the tires. I didn't run IT-7 this past year, just ITS. But I still have an IT-7 car. I didn't get a ballot, so here's my vote... open tire. Run your favorite brand. I've only been in IT for 5 years and I don't think I'm good enough yet for the tire to make much of a difference. Fun is fun, run what you brung. I mean, who cares if one guy can spend another $100 bucks on tires in this class. The guy with more money is going to change tires more often anyway, so are you going to spec the number of laps required on a set next? If you're trying to be so competitive that the tire makes that much difference, maybe you should try a higher class. The faster guys in this class are going to be faster on any tire, so why limit everyone to just one choice? What happened to free enterprise? Ricky T is fast on Hoosiers, Mike C is fast on Kuhmos, Steve S is fast on Toyos, I'm slower on any of the above but I love racing for fun and the beer is cold on Saturday night. I'm happy with choices and trying different tires for the fun of it when I can buy a new set every so often.

Just a note about IT-7 times versus ITA times. At the last race in Sebring 1-9-05
    fastest lap for ITA 2:37.3 finished 3rd O/A
    fastest lap for IT-7 2:44.8 finished 7th O/A

...... most of us who run the hoosier will have to spend aprox $1000 dollars to rework our supension for this change.

Huh? Of course, it's "possible" to spend way too much on anything...just look at F1...but really, a thou??

Please show me the math that gets you up to $1000. Ritzy hotels, lavish meals and strip club tips don't count!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

i donot mind that the tirechoice will be toyo yes i'll lose some contingency ,but in all fairness to everyone there really is no kumho support at the tracks in the S.E. DIV,so on that count i'll support the toyo tires. it's a pretty good tire and in 2003carlos ran toyos at the SIC and had the pole.i ran kumho and was 3rd on the grid everyone else had hoosiers. that weekend we did try a set of hoosiers but was flat spotted the first lap out.not much difference except price.

------------------
    steve saney
    it-7 /it-a #34

Sorry Steve, I thought you were using Toyos. My mistake. Mike C used to use Toyos, but for the last year or so he's been using Kuhmos.

welll lets see new struts 200.per side for front total 400 revalving for new tire side wall. new springs because the tire side wall is different changing over all spring rate.aprox 250 front 150 rear and a new sway bar aprox 150 to acomidate all these changes . do not kid your self perp is the key to winning.

opps double post sorry

[This message has been edited by instigator (edited January 22, 2005).]

welll lets see new struts 200.per side for front total 400 revalving for new tire side wall. new springs because the tire side wall is different changing over all spring rate.aprox 250 front 150 rear and a new sway bar aprox 150 to acomidate all these changes . do not kid your self perp is the key to winning.
    Dude. This is an IT 7 car we're talking here, right? Not a multimillion dollar formula one car. Slap on the Toyos, readjust your tire pressures accordingly and go have some fun. The Toyos are one or two secs slower than the Hoosiers. Spending a cool thou redoing your suspension isn't going to get you back those seconds. There. I just saved you a grand. Next time I'm in your neck of the woods, you're buying the beers.
    Ray

come on i'll buy, but i like being up front and winning sometimes and you can bet all the other front cars will do the same to still win. and my other car that has the set up for the toyos is just as fast as the hoosier cars of 2004 on toyos with the right driver behind the wheel.right driver not me at this time.