Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: spec tire for it-7

Blair,

...Hope you have fun on your cruise. Wish I could get time to do things like that. I haven't had any time off in two years.
    ...I tried to call you two different times and you had already left for the day. I also called your cell phone and left a message. So?
    ...Seems funny to me how Jake keeps jumping on the reason we started IT7. I bet he doesn't even know who Stan, Todd, and Lee are.
    ...Only reason I said anything about your ballot was that there was only one choice for a spec tire. Good idea but why only one tire?
    ...You said in your post that you did not like the price of Hoosier Tires (I know that) that IS A good REASON. I did not say anything to the contrary.
    ...So, I only stated facts. I just do not want to see anyone vote for something just because they do not like the ONLY other choice.

....Rick

Originally posted by lateapex911:
    If I read this correctly here is an SE guy who is crediting the CRX with the origin of IT7.

Now...I am sure I'll hear how he's all wet, but you all can see how such a concept might be common...if the guys who were responsible for the class think it's cause the car can't compete with the top ITA car (s)....

Jake,

...You have no idea why we started IT7. I've tried to explain, but. Maybe one day you will talk to one of the three guys that worked so hard to make it possible. We have our reasons. So how about stopping with the "cannot compete in ITA" BS. Every time you get a chance to jump on that bandwagon you do. Give us a break!
    ...We do not have any trouble running with ITA cars. Most of the time the top two or three in IT7 are in front of the ITA cars at the finish. So just because it is a problem in other regions doesn't mean it is in ours.

...This thread was started because of a Spec Tire issue. Maybe we should reserve these comments for a thread that pertains to what you want to talk about all the time?

...So I guess you are going to say that I'm all wet? Yeah I am, Misty is more like it.

Originally posted by Hotshoe:
    Jake,

So how about stopping with the "cannot compete in ITA" BS. Every time you get a chance to jump on that bandwagon you do. Give us a break!
    ...We do not have any trouble running with ITA cars. Most of the time the top two or three in IT7 are in front of the ITA cars at the finish. So just because it is a problem in other regions doesn't mean it is ours.
    Rick, regardless of why YOU started IT7, please don't pretend that your IT7 car can keep up with Serra's Integra or Stretch's 240SX - on ANY track. (there must be some sort or 1G RX-7 curse at Road Atlanta because the top IT7 cars aren't even in the same TIME ZONE) Like in all of the IT classes, there is a performance envelope. The 1G RX-7 just isn't at the top of the performance envelope in ITA anymore. Props to you and your fellow IT7 drivers in your Region for developing into big fish in a little pond. Venture out to deap waters where the big boys play and see the sharks bite.

No offense intended, but Jake is speaking from a 10,000 foot view and you are looking at life in ITA at your home track.

Seriously, no offense intended, we all respect your development and driving talent but you need to step back from you local point of view.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Andy,

...And what does that have to do with the price of tea in China? I could care less about somebody banging on me. Or how somebody else views a particular subject. That is the American way.

..But I thought we were talking about a Spec Tire.

...I've never said anything about how I drive. Nor do I care when remarks are made making me look like I do so. So please don't talk like I do.
    ...A ten thousand foot high view is nice when you know what you are talking about. I keep my views narrowed down to my back yard because I do know what is going on. And I keep my nose in my own business. This reminds me of the thread that you started then David broke in a little off topic and then all the sudden he was the leper. Same difference.

...All I am trying to do is get a fair shake on this spec tire deal.

...Let us leave the rest of this for another topic. Why does it always have to come to this petty argument? It did not pass the comp board so that says a little bit, doesn't it?

[This message has been edited by Hotshoe (edited December 31, 2004).]

[quote]Originally posted by Mike Cox:
    [B]Rick, I need your number again. changed phones and lost it

Mike,

...Call me, my number is 919-735-0438 This is my 24hr Wrecker Service Phone number.

...I need to talk to you about this Spec Tire issue.

...Thanks,

Blair,

When you put together the proposal for the spec tire for IT7, did you approach Toyo to see what they would offer racers if the proposal went through like discounted prices or contingency money. I like the idea of a spec tire for IT7, but it would be nice if the tire manufacturer offered something because they would see an increase in sales and exposure. I think the tire manufacturers for Spec Miata have some type of contingency program. Toyo, Hoosier and Kumho should be approached and told what you are proposing for IT7 and see what they have to offer the racers to make it worth are while and whether they can provide the number of tires needed during a season.

Originally posted by Hotshoe:
    It did not pass the comp board so that says a little bit, doesn't it?

Just to set the record straight, it never made it to the comp board because the ITAC didn't recommend it.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITA project SM
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Originally posted by Hammer:
    Blair,

When you put together the proposal for the spec tire for IT7, did you approach Toyo to see what they would offer racers if the proposal went through like discounted prices or contingency money. I like the idea of a spec tire for IT7, but it would be nice if the ire manufacturer offered something because they would see an increase in sales and exposure. I think the tire manufacturers for Spec Miata have some type of contingency program. Toyo, Hoosier and Kumho should be approached and told what you are proposing for IT7 and see what they have to offer the racers to make it worth are while and whether they can provide the number of tires needed during a season.
    future reference i'm not a big computer person so if you want a quick responce feel free to call me. my # is on the ballot. sometimes i go weeks without checking my email.i'm also a lousy typer.fist this issue has been floating around for years. i just somehow became the epicenter.so i decided to see what the IT-7 drivers wanted.almost everyone i talked to wanted a spec tire but they also wanted track support, good price and good longevity.toyo kept coming up. spec 7 has run them for years as a spec tire.i personelly have run bfg's for years but they are no longer available soi bought my first set of toyos in may.(still using same set). i spoke to toyo & appalachian tire.toyo used to rebate 10 or 15 dollars a tire but say it was easier to drop price.now they are 115 shaved by appalachian.i think 9 less ? not shaved.majority of drivers thst i spoke with were familiar with the toyo and felt they were the way to go. they have the support the price and the longevity.i personelly believe this major cost reduction may help bring more drivers to IT-7. this is driver driven and down the road there is no doubt that this gives a some leverage with tire manufacturers. thanks blair

So what happens if the SEDiv adopts a spec tire for IT7 and the guys that run IT7 in the Cendiv or ITA anywhere else run what they want and then everyone shows up at the ARRC? What happens then? Are the guys in the SEDiv going to have to change set up on their cars and buy Hoosiers to compete with guys from other regions that come down for just that weekend or will the SEDiv force guys from other divisions to conform to the spec tire?

Well, IF our Region decided to have IT&, I wouldn't want to do it WITHOUT a spec tire, and I think the Toyo is probably the best choice..for the class as a whole. Although a few guys might not like it, the needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few. Now if we don't have IT7, as we don't, and the SE does go with a Toyo spec tire, I will need to get some Toyos for the ARRC, should I choose to attend.

But hey..I would have had to spend at LEAST two sets of Hoosiers for the weekend anyway, so I'd STILL be saving money.

Would I be at a bit more of a disadvantage to the guys who run them all season? Sure...but those guys have more time around RA than I do by a factor of 5 probably, so.....what the hey!

Besides...a set of Hoosiers is $800 mounted for me, and since I'd be saving a set, I could set up my car on Toyos at a test day and still be money ahead.

Maybe CenDiv will follow the lead, or have a gentlemans agreement to run whatever the SE does. IMHO, of course....

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited January 03, 2005).]

Sorry to jump in off topic here...but Jake I never heard back from you to see if you can accept payment through your paypal account! I still need to pay you for the header!!

Ben

I think I had some email virus scanning program issues....and the email I sent never made it..let me retry!

So, Ben you're thinking of Hoosiers, right?...if your club disallowed them would you be happy or sad?

See? Back on topic!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Personally I would be thrilled!! Because I can't afford them! The class I run in is budget oriented so us low cash guys can still get on track. I don't mind losing to a guy faster than me...but I hate losing due to money.

When are the votes for the Spec Tire going to be tallied.

Well it sounds like a bunch of belly aking in here.
    So here it is. i have 2 it7 cars i did not get to vote on this.
    I find no fareness amoung this topic, but i will say this ricky has been beaten by the toyo tire in savana, kershaw.So maybe it is not the tire but the car set up and desire of the driver to win. Cost is a decision all of us must face ,and if you are lossing to other drivers look at what you are doing wrong.Fix it do not blame the equipment as I have learned by placing another driver in may cars,and found the driver was the most important part of a winning car I do agree both tires turn aprox. the same timeslook at the arc during qualifing, a toyo tire set pole for it7. Yes it was hoosier that got the pole later that day but by what, .03sec spec tires will only show how far off your set up is for your driving style

drop this issue for the good of this class

[This message has been edited by instigator (edited January 13, 2005).]

almost forgot i am a part of the southeaster region why did i not get a ballot to vote seems mighty suspicious to me only a select few members get to vote and yes i raced this past year

Originally posted by instigator:
    DROP THIS ISSUE for the good of this class
    I was SURE that your "Shift" key was broken, but then you go and prove me wrong. Now if you could just use it a little more and find the "." key I could probably read what you're trying to say.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

Eagle 7
    if you wish to be an english major or teacher I am sure the school systems could use you. Read the words. I have full confidence in you desifering the message.

I have received several phone calls from those who figured out the words ,and have recieved a very positve respons from them

Drop the issue, refers to the spec tire issue

[This message has been edited by instigator (edited January 12, 2005).]

"Instigator"

Even though there are some wildly divergent trains of thought here, I think the members of this forum make a real attempt to respect each others right to an opinion. We respect yours as well. I think that two points apply to your post. Lots of people make a typo, or spelling error here - the posts are definitely not graded! Your post is so poorly written that it is difficult to read, much less take seriously. Being able to punctuate and capitalize doesn't make someone an english teacher, it allows them to accurately communicate with their peers. Another important distinction that often gets forgotten in internet forums is that you must attempt to write VERY clearly, because it is difficult to properly convey the "feel" of what you have posted even if you ARE an english teacher. There is a clear difference between "I am not in favor of a spec tire" and "DROP THIS NOW". One is a "vote" or "opinion" and the other is an "order" or "threat". This forum is primarily used by drivers for a civilized exchange of ideas. A well thought out argument may change some of these peoples minds, but ordering them to do so will probably hurt your cause.

To the instigator----e-mail me with your Phone # or call 865-494-7889 for,info on how to get an IT7 spec tire ballot ,
    [email protected]