Guys, let me just say that I'm not going after anyone here. I come here because when I'm not actually racing, I like to talk about racing or working on the car (kind of a one trick pony, huh?). I give and get lots of great ideas here, and the occasional lively discussion is just a bonus.

I like just about any idea that cuts cost without hurting the overall competitiveness of racing. The truth is, the tire manufacturers are just giving us what we want and it's up to us to rethink why we want it! Racing has never been cheap, but it is currently headed towards being even more exclusionary because of the advance of technology. Sophisticated suspensions, incredible engine and drivetrain development, and unreal advances in tire technology have all come at a cost. Street cars now perform better than the last generation's race cars, and racecars are significantly lowering lap records all over the planet. One of the biggest developments has been tire technology, and one of the biggest costs has been the accompanying tire budget. REAL IT racing means large, closely matched grids of "relatively" affordable cars. If the SCCA really wanted to start equalizing perfomance potential on IT cars they could slow cars up with tire requirements a whole lot quicker than with weight or intake restrictors! (shhhh! No! i'm not suggesting anything of the sort - just establishing a point!) I don't have an axe to grind with ANY of the tire suppliers as I have at least tried most of them and all make a pretty damn good tire for the track. If anything, one of the best reasons to have a spec tire is to go to the manufacturers and let them bid to become your spec tire supplier - most affordable gets the nod, and a guarantee of good sales volume for a year.

Come on now - that extra set of tires cost as much as four race entries around here. I would rather run ten races at 1:42 laps in a pack with all my friends, than run six at 1:40. But hey, that's just me.

Boswoj

[This message has been edited by Boswoj (edited December 27, 2004).]

[This message has been edited by Boswoj (edited December 27, 2004).]