IF a tire was developed that, when new, was 1 second a lap faster than a Hoosier. Lasted 2-30 minute heat cycle before it fell off to below new Hoosier level and cost $1200/set...would the tire expense required to run up front then be a problem? Okay how about 2 seconds, 1 heat cycle and $1500 ?

All it takes is one otherwise equally prepped and driven car, to show up on the Gumbo 870S and you are racing for second place.

That is what I feel we have with the Hoosier situation. As long as the competition for first place isn't on new Hoosiers you don't need to be either. But if they are, you better be too or settle for second. Do people win who aren't on new Hoosiers? Sure, but not against otherwise equal competition.

I don't know many people who work 70 hours a week and eat Ramen because they like coming in second. Getting rid of the neccessity for Hoosiers will give you the option to step up to Mac n' Cheese. Or spend your same dollar on things that net you less speed for the buck. Or better yet, aren't highly consumable.

Rick mentioned a few posts ago something like "it is not just the tires"...I AGREE and that is why, under the right circumstances I WOULD SUPPORT a spec tire. Put us all on rock-hard snot slick tires, it will just put more ephasis on driver ability which is fine with me. It is the race not the ride that puts a smile on my face. I don't need an advantage to be willing to race with anybody. Equal equipment is all I strive for, leave the rest up to me. I have always strived for no excuse cars. The less expensive that no excuse car is the better I eat. You can still out spend me in other areas but they will have less of an impact on your lap times per dollar than the tires, guaranteed.

Further, when I do win you won't be claiming it is only because I can afford new Gumbo 870s.

Happy Holidays!

------------------
Daryl DeArman
ex ITA and EProd 1st gen Rx7 and ITA Mk1 MR2
current owner of a FV, who still visits this site because the Vee forums aren't near as fun.--and no there isn't anything to do on my Vee right now or I'd be doing it