Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: sugestion for new it7 motor rules

Originally posted by Andy Bettencourt:
    "Accused" is WAY different than PROOF. *I* am from the school that most of the cheating comes from the mid-pack becasue the majority dont WANT to believe that they are being out-prepared, out-tested, out-developed and out-driven.

If you KNOW that someone is cheating, protest them, tear them down and penalize them. If you don't know, then a new set of rules accomplished NOTHING.

AB

I've seen this kind of response before and I'm not sure its all that practical. Educate me if I'm wrong, I've never been involved with a mechanical protest.

My understanding is that to file such a protest, I need to post a tear-down bond and document what I think is wrong. It's the last part that causes my confusion. All I know is that someone else is faster in ways that I don't think they should be, how do I protest that? I don't think I get to just say that the motor isn't legal, don't I have to be specific? Unless I sneak into someones garage and disassemble their motor, how do I know what to protest? What if I file a protest accusing someone of have a ported engine and he doesn't, but the rotor turns out to be illegal. Do I lose my protest and bond?

Protest EVERYTHING. Make a laundry list. Cover everything. Put up the appropriate bond to get your answers. If you "know" they are cheating, but don't specifically know what is the issue, you will be covered.

If you don't "know" they are cheating, then just drive.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    New England Region, R188967
    ITA project SM 1.6
    Spec Miata 1.8
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Writing a protest is a bit of an art...you do need to do significant homework. Intimate knowledge of the protestees car is essential, as is a good understanding of the process. If you really feel that there are issues with a certain competitor, discussing it up front is a good start. If unresolved, respectfullly discussing it with other drivers in the class may convince you that there is no issue, or that indeed, there IS an issue. If the others agree, it could work out well to form a "team". This way you can divide the workload. One can handle the legalities, another the technical merits, and the cost can be shared. A protest is not to be taken lightly. Bad blood can result from a poorly handled or written protest, and no real resolution may have been reached. That's a lose-lose.

Read the thread titled "a protest story" in, (I think) the rules and regs section of this BBS ...
    http://<a href="http://forum.improve...00740.html</a>

to get a inside view of exactly how a protest is lodged, and how it can transpire.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited January 18, 2005).]

[This message has been edited by lateapex911 (edited January 18, 2005).]

Thanks.