Thread: Engine Rebuild Practices

Default Engine Rebuild Practices

I'm ready to start my first rotary rebuild, and first ITS rebuild. In reading the GCR, I see open apex seals and springs, gaskets, and balancing/blueprinting allowed. I don't see much else that can be non-stock, but maybe I've missed something.
    [list]
    * Competition bearings?
    * Competition seals?
    * Eliminate the thermal pellet?
    * Oil pump modified for higher pressure?
    * Housing modifications to improve reliability?
    [list]
    What did I forget to list?

Thanks,

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

The motor I put together last year had the following.

New side irons
    New rotor housings
    S5 rotors with stock bearings
    Rear comp main bearing
    Stock stat gears
    Carbon apex seals
    S6 corner seal springs
    Comp oil pressure regulator
    Shim the front regulator
    Baffle plate
    New oil control rings
    Eliminate thermal pellet
    Eliminate ball and spring oil control for the rotor bearings and replaced with a Comp jet

From everything I've read and been told seal clearancing is all important. Only way to build good compression is to have everything seal up well. The motor I built was disappointing early but I finally figured out the choke plates had fallen closed so I was only breathing through the primary butterfly! Haven't had the car out since...but it sounds a ton meaner in the shop!

Get a catalog from Mazdaspeed. There is really good build info in the back. Well, it's online at the website too.

Another thing is that by the time you add all the parts up you can just about buy a built motor from ISC or the like. Doesn't make financial sense really but I take pride in doing my own stuff.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

I have similar questions, for example you can remove the 5th & 6th port tubes but are you allowed to run Pineapple sleeves or smooth the right angle entry into the chamber with JB Weld?

Originally posted by MaxEnergy:
    I have similar questions, for example you can remove the 5th & 6th port tubes but are you allowed to run Pineapple sleeves or smooth the right angle entry into the chamber with JB Weld?

You can remove the 5 & 6 port tubes and knock out the brass guides. Plug up the holes with dimes and JB weld on the outside where the accuators were mounted. You can't use JB weld inside the manifold because that would be like porting.

Rear comp main bearing
    Comp oil pressure regulator
    Shim the front regulator
    Eliminate thermal pellet
    Eliminate ball and spring oil control for the rotor bearings and replaced with a Comp jet
    These are the kinds of things that I'm confused about legality. Where in the GCR does it say I can do this?
    <font face=\"Verdana, Arial\" size=\"2\">Get a catalog from Mazdaspeed.</font>
    Didn't know there was a catalog.
    Another thing is that by the time you add all the parts up you can just about buy a built motor from ISC or the like.
    I've already got most of what I need. Figured I need to try it at least once.

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX-7 #13
    CenDiv WMR