Originally posted by lateapex911:
The Miata continues to stump me. The Spec Miatas (which the SM guys are always saying could be so much better if...if...and so on) are usually faster than the ITA Miatas I have seen. Weird.
Here is my generalization/theory: [Wearing 4 layers of Nomex so flame away]

GENERALLY SPEAKING: The guys/gals who race an ITA Miata are racing in ITA rather than SM because the competition is tougher in SM and in SM they have no one to blame but the nut behind the wheel.

EXCEPTION: guys/gals who love the Miata, and find no appeal in a spec series. These people will develop the Miata to the extent they wish and have fun...some will be faster than a SM, some won't be. Despite its' shortcomings a SM package works. You start messing around with things experimenting in IT and you might take 2 steps forward and three steps back.

Back to the 1st gen Rx7--a race weight of 2280 is doable (not if the driver is 240#). I don't race a 1st gen rx7 any longer. IF, I got back into IT racing it would probably be an ITB car (not an RX7 even at its' current ITA weight). Put the Rx7 in B at its' current weight and make em run 6" max tires like everyone else in the class and they won't be an overdog.