Thread: Endurance prep - 1st gen alternator and lights

Default Endurance prep - 1st gen alternator and lights

I'm am prepping my car for the 25 hour in 05, and one of the 1st questions on my list is running big watt headlights, and the reliability of the alternator.

Has anyone seen a rally style set up for a 1st gen Rx? I'm not keen on making it myself, but I can't find one for sale. I'm thinking of something like this: http://www.it2.evaluand.com/gti/images/pod1.jpg

The next question is can the stock alternator support those four monster lights? I assume not, but what can be done to help it? Alternately, is there an easy swap that can be used it its place?

What have others of you that run enduo's done for lights?

thanks!
    Marcus

[This message has been edited by Marcus Miller (edited October 29, 2004).]

Marcus,

go to www.specialstage.com

ask the same questions. I am not too heavily immersed in the rally world to answer all your questions.

I crew on a 2nd gen Group 5 car. We run an alternator off a 3rd gen rx7. I believe it is in the neighborhood of 120Amps. I believe we purchased the lights through susquehana(sp?) motorsports.

I'd imagine what you can/can't do will be dictated by the sup regs for the event.

Good luck.

Marcus,

Find Roland Hahn on this site and email him. He has an RX7 endurance car and won the 12 hrs of Summit Point this year.

Rich