Thread: 12A rotor housings at least another 2 months out

Default 12A rotor housings at least another 2 months out

2 1/2 months ago mazda ran out of the 12a stock rotor housings, we have been without parts to rebuild engine for 4 1/2 months that I know of, I called 4/23 and mazda said it may be 8 weeks or more, please write the CRB and ask for the 12a turbo housing be listed as an alternate part number (N210-10-100 and N210-10-150) these have bigger exhaust ports and yeild 8-10 hp more than stock. CRB is already considering a adjustment for the rx7 so now would be the time to write in. thanks

Daryl, I understand that you have a motor builder. But in a pinch try iscracing.net. They advertise NEW rotor housings with a 12A rebuild motor.

Good luck
    David

Darryl-
    Are there any external differences between the turbo and non turbo housings? I.e. can we look at the motor and tell if people have the right housings? Or do we have to drop the header and measure?

Tachi
    #29 ITA
    SFR SCCA

hi tac, where yours say 12A, they say "TURBO"

I dunno, guys, thats gonna be a tough one!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

ya I know jake, im putting old housings in my motor cause its my last year in ITA and im not spending it waiting for hell to freeze. its really too bad though, I feel mazda let us down on this, they could have stockpiled them for the racers. if they run out of the EP housings I will think hard about switching marques. if they have no loyalty to us......

Daryl and other 12A owners:

Poke around on the f3csclub forum. It's been some time since I was on there. But, there was some rotary guru (lightplane rotary enthusiast IIRC) that was resurfacing rotor housings.

There was a long thread and a link over there (I can't find it now) about how he had tried different materials and application processes. Came up with something similar to a ceramic JETHOT type coating, he builds the material up a few thousandths and then machines it down in several steps. YES he made some machine/fixture/jig/CAD-CAM process (top secret) where he could machine them back down to original spec. He was experimenting with different surface properties (some held too much oil/fuel, some not enough) Lots of close up pictures of the housings after each stage in the process.

Granted, as the rule stands now, this may not be permitted. But perhaps a provision needs to be made to allow sleeving of blocks and resurfacing of rotor housings.

A proposal along these lines may have more of a chance of being accepted than an alternate housing that wasn't imported in to North America.

Good luck!

Daryl DeArman