Thread: Coolant Drain???

Default Coolant Drain???

Anyone added some sort of drain to their 1st Gen cooling system to make draining easier? Pulling the lower hose off of the bottom of the radiator is always such a pain with the rush of fluid and goofy lower hose fitment.

I'm getting ready for the seasonal changeover to water and figured if there is something that I can add (part off of another car or off the shelf) while I've got everything drained, that'd be 2 less headaches every year.
    Anyone?

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

Does the 12A have the drain plug in the side of the center housing like the 13B?

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

I've always taken off the hose on my 12A, but somewhere I read that there was a plug directly beneath the dipstick, down at the bottom of the engine. Lo and behold, I looked and it was there...at least there is a plug there. I haven't got around to trying it yet so I don't know for sure what will drain out.

------------------
    G. Brooke Carter
    Wheat Buckley Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    2003 Class Champion
    Calgary, Alberta

It's for coolant. On the 13B it's mangled in with the left hand motor mount. I've never used it because it uses a crush washer and I have been too lazy to run out and find replacements. I always just roll the car out in the driveway and pull the lower hose.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

I drain the radiator the hard way: I remove the drain plug at the bottom of the radiator. I also pull the plug Chris mentioned to speed up the process on the 12A.

Have Fun
    David

I have the drain plug in mine. Its just a standard autmotive radiator drain. Makes things easier and cleaner.

Thanks for the leads guys! The block drain is on the spark plug side, directly under the dipstick. Just be ready for a gush that will shoot all the way to the frame rail. I used a piece of cardboard to divert it into the catch pan.

I also pulled the heater line to drain the rest of the coolant. The lower radiator hose is such a pain to get on and off, I hate messing with it. As far as purging the system of air, I had some moderate sucess just squeezing the lower rad. hose a bunch of times. Could even hear the fluid moving around in the heater lines.

Pulling the bottom hose from the rad will only drain the water from the rad. Pull the plug in the housing to drain the water from the block. Just a note.
    Ray

Removing hoses?? There is a drain plug on the lower left hand side of the engine...just above the oil pan. I remove plug, let it drain and then apply air pressure to top of radiator and/or crank the engine a few times. The Radiator and the block drains this way.