Ben,

The exhaust was an issue two years ago when I noticed a crack leading to a hole in the bottom of my header while prepping the car for a race. The Racing Beat header I ordered would not line up with the three inch single pipe exhaust that came with the car. After talking to people at various Mazda suppliers/prep shops, I went with the following set-up:
- Racing Beat header
- two 2 1/4" pipes (Racer Parts Wholesale)
- Flowmaster collecter prior to the axle to single 3" (RPW)
- Various 3" inch exhaust pieces from a NAPA supply room that made the best trip over the axle.
- Connect to muffler that came with the car

I have never had a sound violation. Also, unless you have a lift or are extremly talented with a mig, take it somewhere to have it welded. After rolling on the ground and complaining incessantly for a couple of days, my wife was sick of listening to me and talked me into it. It was the best $100 I spent.
When I installed a fuel cell and G-Force's panhard suspension piece, I needed to have the 3" parts taken apart and readjusted. I also have a heat shield installed between the exhaust and the fuel cell. Be careful with what you add to act as a skid plate so that it doesn't look like the 4th of July under the car to initiate a Black Flag. With whatever setup you go with make sure the exhaust is supported under the car for those off course excursions. I was able to reuse the stock J-hooks and rubber eights for support.

Bill Emery
Glen Region
ITA#23