Thread: steering stuff

Default steering stuff

I aquired another 1980 Gen 1 rx-7. Just what I needed! It has a strange problem. The steering column has about three inches of in and out movement and after looking at this thing several times I have decided I must be stupid. I have two steering assemblies laying around that don't do this but don't reaaly want to do the swap. Whats broke? It looks fine. Quit laughing.

This is just a wild guees here, and hopefully somebody smart will pipe up here, but perhaps it is the little circlip at the bottom of the shaft.

I imagine it might be easier to swap, but that's not easy either!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

L., the first thing I did after I quit laughing was to get out the good ol 1985 Mazda RX-7 workshop manual. Read everything they have to say about the steering & all I can say is that (while laughling )there can't be anything wrong with your steering wheel end play because they have zero written instructions on how to cure steering wheel end play. But while still laughing I said to myself, those little Japs MAY have missed something but the good ol boys from Hanyes NEVER miss anything. Next I grab my Haynes 1979 through 1985 Workshop manual & read everything they have to say about steering wheel end play. Their words. "Do not strike the steering column shaft end with a hammer as damage to the bearing & collapsible shaft may occure". Still laughing but louder as I read more in these NUCKING WORTHLESS workshop manuals.

L. I never had an issue with the steering column but I will bet that there is two or three pieces that make a collapsible steering column so the nucking thing collapse (a pin or something shears)rather than spearing you through your chest. Saving your laughing a$$ so you may race another day.

Have Fun
    David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited February 21, 2004).]

Jake, we both need to get a life. Your on the computer at 8 p.m. & likewise I am on this dam thing at 7 p.m.

Screw it, Im heading for one of those places with the little oblong signs in the front window that says "OPEN" most times it's a green light. After a half dozen brown bottles ya never know what might happen.

Have Fun
    David

ok stupid confession time. if like my car the colulm moves at the wheel end but not at the steering box it is because there is a plastic piece inside the colulm that allows it to collapes for saftey. i guess if you hit it with a hammer it could break, i screwed up mine by welding the quick release on using too much heat. does not affect the steering but can be a little disconcerting until you get used to it.
    dick

Is it the stock steering wheel or an aftermarket wheel?

I take it David and Jake, you guys have not had one of these columns apart yet. Let me share a little story with you all.
    I, like every other old fart pops a steering wheel off by (1)remove the nut. (2)put my knees against the bottom of the wheel and while pulling on the top, tap the shaft with a soft blow hammer, right?
    Im at drivers school, 2nd day and this yahhoo in a Z-car(who didnt get his licence) does a banzai pass on me going into a turn and spins right in front of me. well, I guess reflexes made me yank back on the steering wheel while I locked all fours and the wheel came back at me about two inches and came out of the plastic bearing sleeve and was flopping around for the rest of the session.
    I pushed it back in later but it kept coming out the rest of the weekend making for some interesting drives with the wheel moving an inch side to side, you dont realize how much the steering wheel holds you in place in your seat while racing.
    When I got home I tore the column apart and found that from the factory the column shaft is made up of two peices one sliding inside the other, the factory pulls it all the way out and attaches a tiny cable to the end of the bottom shaft to about four inches above the upper shaft holding the two in a streched out manner. I broke the cable loose by tapping on the shaft getting the wheel off and without me noticing it had pushed it down 2 inches.
    The fix is to pull it all the way back out, weld a bearing on the steering shaft right behind your steering wheel and put a bearing holding bracket to your dash bar. The collapsable mechanisms of your column will still work if you fix it this way. I have been told that minor impacts even pounding on your wheel with your hands can collapse the stock config so the fix is recommended even for good columns.

------------------
    Daryl Brightwell
    ITA RX7 #11
    NORPAC
    ITA RX7 #77
    SOPAC

http://www.calclub.com/gallery/showphoto.php?photo=101&password=&sort=1&size= medium&cat=500&page=://http://www.calclub.com/gallery/show...m&cat=500&page=

EP this summer

[This message has been edited by 7'sRracing (edited February 23, 2004).]

Daryl, you are so correct about me never having the steering column apart.

Thanks for the info
    David

See also http://www.jimrothe.com/mazda/steering.html about halfway down he has a couple possible remedies that use nylon bolts or pop rivets to retain factory collapsibility

No, I've never had mine apart either!

------------------
    Steve
    [email protected]
    <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
    </A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
    </A>