Thread: quicker removal of 1st gen front rotors

Default quicker removal of 1st gen front rotors

Does anyone have a trick for speeding up the job of removing the front brake rotors on a 1st. Gen RX-7. I have ground down a 14 mm wrench to fit better behind the bracket that holds the caliper, but it is still a pain to get at it. Any ideas would be greatfully appreciated.

John MacKechnie

I found that if I pulled down on the top of the bracket after I took the top bolt out and move the bracket up and down it loosen the lower bolt so I could get an open end wernch in to remove it. I had to use some persuasion to get the bracket to move but once it did I had no problem getting the bolt out.

Lou I
    NER ITA #79 RX7

John,

That bolt is a PITA. I use a 14mm long box wrench and I wedge a square shafted Craftsman screwdriver behind it to hold it on. I am able to get the box wrench on far enough on that I can break it loose, and I then use the open end to spin it off.

Bill Emery
    Glen Region
    ITA#23

When I put my brake ducts on I ground down the edge of the caliper mounting bracket so a box wrench would fit the bolt head. Only had to do this on the top bolt. I took off very little material on the bracket. It seems to work pretty good. I can change a rotor in about 15-20 minutes if everything else goes well.

Drive well.

Ditto to to the method used by Bill. Works great.

Have Fun
    David

I remove the rear bolt from the bottom of the strut, loosen the front one, and wa-la rotate the assembly and use a socket on that nasty little bolt.

I too can change the rotor in ~15 minutes, although the first time on an aquired Rx7, often takes longer

Originally posted by Scott Nutter:
    I remove the rear bolt from the bottom of the strut, loosen the front one, and wa-la rotate the assembly and use a socket on that nasty little bolt.

I too can change the rotor in ~15 minutes, although the first time on an aquired Rx7, often takes longer
    I use an identical procedure; the last one took ~20 minutes including installing a new inner bearing. . . .

Marcus

Go to Sears and buy a combination 12/14 mm OFFSET box end wrench. It has a 12mm 12 point box end on one side, a 14mm 12 point box end on the other. Each box end is offset ~1/2 inch from the handle. It fits right into the caliper bracket and gives your knuckles extra clearance. Also handy for those pesky drive shaft bolts!

Tak
    #29 ITA SFR SCCA

buy the turn in spacers from G-Force and the problem is gone.

Originally posted by 7'sRracing:
    buy the turn in spacers from G-Force and the problem is gone.
    Ding! (Lightbulb just turned on upstairs) That's why the calipers came off so quickly on my new RX! As I was removing them I was thinking "hmmmm, this is going awfully quick."

In my defence, the spacers were already installed when I bought the car.

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it