Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Brake Rotors

The latest response from Mr. Brake Anal is:

During my second call to Brembo the guy didn't want to talk to much about their part numbers & identifying true Brembo stuff from questionable stuff. The guy did tell me there are rotors out there manufactured by a company in China called Brambo & they package in a red & white knockoff box like Brembo.

Anyway my parts guy called with the latest arrival of Brembo rotors. As far as I am concerned these are BREMBO rotors. They have the word "Brembo", the "Brembo logo" & a number "1197 A BB" stamped on the O.D. of the rotor. The other main item I was looking for & didn't talk about is the "pillar venting" & they have the pillar venting. I was waiting for someone else to bring up the pillar venting. Pillar venting is a series of three different shaped pillars that seperate the inside pad surface from the outside pad surface through the vent area.

I am now satisfied I have Brembo rotors.

The Mazda Comp rotors had a spiral pillar going from the outside towards the center of the rotor IIRC. (It's to friken cold to go out & check.) The first Brembo boxed rotor my parts house had the pillar was straight pillar going from the outside of the rotor towards the center of the rotor.

Go to [email protected] to look at the multi shaped pillar venting.

Anyone else have pillar venting ?

Thanks for the support
    David

[This message has been edited by ddewhurst (edited January 24, 2004).]

NAPA rotors, lifetime warrenty, made in Canada, work great. If they crack I take'm back and get new ones. You can probably use the bearings and races again if you want and are careful getting the races out. Replace the seal with a new one. Usually get about 6 to 8 races out of a set of fronts. I run air ducts to front rotors. Price was about $50 each a couple years ago.

Drive well.

Steve, what told you the rotors were "true Brembos"?
    Haven't cracked one yet. Got them in 2/02 for a total of $44 ea (incl shipping) from Olympic Imported Parts 800-370-0041, www.forparts.com.

They listed list price at $65 at the time.

Interestingly, one set had a big ugly stamping on the wheel mounting face (where the studs mount), and one set did not. Both boxers were original, un-retouched/taped.

I stil have some races left on the second set, and I have done some long HPDE sessions too, all with no rotor probs.

Perhaps I just don't slow down enough! :-D

------------------
    Steve
    [email protected]
    <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
    </A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
    </A>

Originally posted by jake7140:
    Perhaps I just don't slow down enough! :-D
    ....or perhaps you're not going fast enough
    Ray

Ray, ya beat me to it.

The only time Steve & I have been at the same event my transmission went south in the 1st practice session. ;(

Have Fun
    David

Ouch! But bring it on, there's only one way to find out. It'd be nice to get some level comp rather than having to beat all those other "faster" cars. The trick will be to find me this year, it will be more of a hiatus year, with tight money and some circle track playing.

------------------
    Steve
    [email protected]
    <A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/jake7140" TARGET=_blank>My racing page
    </A><A HREF="http://www.geocities.com/elrss" TARGET=_blank>Elkhart Lake Racing_&_Sipping Society
    </A>

I only buy heat treated rotors from Porterfield. The increase in the life expentancy is phenominal!! I believe they use Brembos. The price is something like $67 plus shipping. I hate changing rotors at the track, so the extra price is worth it. Before I started using the heat treated versions, it seemed like I was changing rotors about every three races. For the record I use Hawk Blues and have the Mazda competition venting set-up.