Thread: shimming a diff

Default shimming a diff

Can anybody tell me where to find detailed instructions on how to shim a first gen small axle differential? The car is raced in pro7 class. It looks like machining my own speacial tools is prefered over buying the factory manual required, Pinion model and Gauge block. Rather than send it to someone experienced at doing this, I want to learn it myself. Any advice or info will be appreciated!

http://www.mazdamotorsports.com/webapp/wcs...ct=differential

I would probably just take it a professional because for about $150 you can have the diff all set up and all you would have to do is just plop it in.
    To do the job yourself, you'll still need to borrow or buy a factory manual in order to get the correct specs,tolerances,backlash, etc. hope this helps.
    Ray

also the factory spec. is not the best for strenght and racing. it's more for being quiet for road use. pay and have it done.

------------------
    steve saney
    it-7 /it-a #34

Thanks for the reponse Steve and Ray. If I could find a somebody in southern Ca(LA) area, that would rebuild/shim my diff for $150, I would do it. Althouth losing a track championship in 1990 due to an "expert" transmission rebuilder makes me want to learn to do it myself. I have a factory manual and am aware of the fact that for racing, the hot tip is to shim the diff much tighter than factory specs.
    Happy New Year
    Ron

Since there are many Rx "experts" in so cal perhaps for more than $150 someone will do it for you "while you watch". You are then free to do it yourself down the road, and experiment with your own settings.

7's only?

MazdaTrix?

R&R Rotary in Upland? They do a lot of drag racing stuff, so they may use Ford 9" stuff. Perhaps they haven't always done so and may know how to do yours right. They also don't have to race against you and therefore might be more willing.