Thread: Tie rod adjusters

Default Tie rod adjusters

OK guys lets see if anyone can help with this one. I have G-Force turn-in spacers I am installing on my 1st gen RX-7 IT car. Since it is illegal for me to cut off the ends of the tie rods so the adjusters (threaded rod with jam nuts) will have enough adjustment to set toe, I am rethreading the adjuster rods per the G-Force instructions. Jim Susko in his instructions tells you how to do this. It is not a problem but since the adjuster rod is a rolled thread, the newly cut thread portion is lower than the rolled thread section. Jim says to be careful when tighting the jam nuts so you don't strip the newly threaded portion of the adjusting rod.

Therefore, I was wondering.....Does anyone have a source that does not cost an arm and a leg for some custome rolled thread adjusting rods so I could have full thread height so the rod will fully engage the tie rods?

I talked to Jim a long time ago about a source and he didn't know of any. I thought maybe someone else may have a source. I looked around on the web and couldn't find anything. I guess I could get a machine shop to cut me an adjuster on a leath but custom machine shop time is expensive since I don't know anyone in the business.

Any help out there?

Happy holidays and God Bless us all.

Drive well.

vague memory here....

How about using the existing adjuster, but only using the reverse thread part. Cut off the excess lenth. Then get a bolt the right thread and length and have a good welder do his magic. Two options here....leave the head of the bolt for easy adjustment, or cut it off, and grind a flat spot in the center for adjusting.

If you don't have confidence in the strength of your welding, then get a pro.

The end result will have full depth threads on both ends.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

it is true that useing jim's method of cutting new threads over the unthreaded portion does not give much bite but the threads in the tie rod ends are still fine and the thread that the left hand thread nut run on are fine so the assembely seem to be strong. just don't tighten the right hand thread lock nut to hard

As Dick stated if the slightly tightened lock not did lossen up nothing catastrophic is going to happen.

Being that Jake went down the path of the big C I'll suggest something that someone might do. Have a new adjuster round machined with R & L hand threads. Under cut the length between threads so that no one is going to detect that it's not a normal piece.

Sorry Jake
    David