Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2nd Gen ITS Shocks

There's nothing wrong with the Mazdatrix stuff but it's much cheaper from Mazdaspeed. Also, look for a top mount caster/camber plate. I have the Mazdatrix pieces and will probably convert to a top mount just for the added travel. Speedsource, think ISC, K2RD maybe have them.

The Bilsteins I have on my came from the factory. A friend of mine who has a USAC Silver Crown car is factory backed by Bilstein. The guy that heads their USAC program is an ex-IT racer and when my car was mentioned he offered to set us up. Bilstein built the rear shocks and the front inserts. The front inserts are from some kind of Porsche application. The rears I'm unsure of. Bilstein recommended ISC for the front mounts. They're basically a stock mount, cut open, and threaded at the top with a very nice billet cap that holds the cartridge. The Mazdaspeed pieces are heavier (stronger)and look nicer in the pics but these are quite adequate.

All I know of the contact at Bilstein is his first name...Jim. If anyone else wants the info I'll talk to my buddy and get the full story.

When they built the shocks they asked for a bunch of info. Corner weights, spring weights, driver's style, etc. I haven't gotten to drive them much but they are huge improvement over the off the shelf Konis and Tokicos I had before. Shaved something like 1.5 seconds off our laps at M-O. The front travel is much less than what I had before. The ride height needed to be lowered quite a bit. Don't have my notes here but it was something on the order of 1". The car is now nearing the minimum height reg which I've heard is not good for the suspension geometry...but it is faster, easier to drive at the limit and most importantly and what I'm happiest about is that it's more consistent over a whole session.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

Chris, are your Bilsteins adjustable? Also, what do you have for front sway bar?

------------------
    Marty Doane
    ITS RX7 #13
    CenDiv WMR

Chris,

Are there any size difference with the bilstein setup over the ground control koni setup? ISC racing told me i will need to run ITS style offsets for my wheels. But if they use 2.5 inch OD springs then they should have the same clearance as the traditional ground control koni setup.

Bilsteins are non-adjustable. Front sway bar is Suspension Technique set on soft. If I did it again I'd start with a speedway style bar. More tuning options and I'd suspect more room for brake ducting.

The Bilsteins, dimension wise, are identical in the front to the Tokicos I had before. With 40mm offset wheels Hoosier 225s rub on the lower perches with either shock. I run a 1/4" spacer on 37 and 40mm offset wheels.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv