Thread: Moroso Oil Pan

Default Moroso Oil Pan

Anyone have experience using the Moroso Oil pan for RX-7? Looks good Baffle and Dividers to prevent oil slop 2 drain plugs Holds 6.6 Quarts of Oil. Probably somewhere is a discussion of conventional Racing oil Verus Redline Mobil 1 etc last I tried search function it Didn't Work.

------------------
    T Weaver 1980 RX-7 ITA

I love the idea of more capacity. Hard to have too much IMO. That pan is pretty pricey though isn't it? One of my projects in the back of my mind is to cut up a stock pan and add kick outs to the rear to increase capacity. Would be an easy hour or two with some sheet metal and the MIG gun. Already have the baffle plate so that's not an issue.

------------------
    Chris Ludwig
    08 ITS RX7 CenDiv

I think the consensus here is:

-Synthetic oils: Good, must haves.
    -Moroso oil pan- Nice, but lots of guys have been fine without it for year after year.
    -Baffle plate: So cheap and obviously effective, it's a 'while I'm there replacing my gasket' kinda deal.

ISC sells one for somewhere @ $40.

http://iscracing.net

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

I do not think that is the consensus. Synthetics are awesome in all engines exept rotaries. Some engine builders do not advise using synthetics because they do not remove the heat as well as a conventional racing oil. Granted, they can take the heat up to some extremely high temperature, but at that point your engine is fried anyway so what does it matter?

I'm part of Jake's consensus, I think synthetics "are awesome" in rotaries also!
    B

The issue with synthetic oils in rotories is that they have a limited ability to burn off ash. Some synthetics have high ash-content and leave byproducts.

Mobil 1 and Redline are low in ash content. I have run Mobil 1 in both a 3rd gen TT and our stable of ITS 2nd gens - with awesome results. I have a compression graph to share with anyone who wants to see it - 2.5 seasons of 8500 RPM racing and she's like new internally.

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region #188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

Talk to the people that build racing rotary engines like SDJ. The dyno has shown that synthetics do not transfer as much heat as a good normal oil. It is the same reason to run water and an additive in your radiator and not 50/50 water and antifreeze. As I said synthetics can take the heat but there is no point since our engines are junk at 260 degrees oil temp anyway. If you are still using the oil injectors and not premixing definitely do not use synthetic oil.

Originally posted by xr4racer:
    Talk to the people that build racing rotary engines ......
    OK, this is what Racing Beat has to say: "Racing Beat has been recommending the use of synthetic oils in rotary applications for several years. Our research has found that synthetic oils provide superior friction reducing between sliding surfaces, reduced foaming, and lower oil temperatures. We have tested several different synthetic oils and have found that .... most offered improved wear and lower oil temperatures....."

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

Dave Lemon (Mazdatrix) takes a different view of the dino vs engineered oil issue. You can read his assesment at www.mazdatrix.com/faq/synthetc.htm

Daves comments are not entirely in context here. We change our plugs very regularly, and most of us pre-mix, and turn our injectors off.

Andy made good points about the relative chemistry differences above.

Syn oils have much better and more linear behavior regarding heat. True, they might not SINK heat as well, but they maintain viscosity at much higher temps than Dino oils. Don't forget, the number you see on your gauge is an average, if you will. Things are much different at other points (seal points, bearing points), and proper viscosity is critical there.

Our engines are pretty lightly stressed compared to other race motors, and we should have plenty of cooling reserve.

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]