Thread: Race Gas

Default Race Gas

Ok I know we gone over this before... but what brand and octane gas are you using. I've been using Chevron 87 with good results but has anyone found anything significantly better?
    I'm running a Spec 7 In California. What's bothering me is I don't know what "emmissions" additives are in the gas. The state has good intentions to keep the air clean, but which one would be best for HP?

We run Mobil/Exxon 87oct whenever we can. One of the perks to running a FI 2nd gen!

AB

------------------
    Andy Bettencourt
    06 ITS RX-7
    FlatOut Motorsports
    New England Region #188967
    www.flatout-motorsports.com

For my Spec 7 I buy whatever 87 octane is cheapest on the Friday before a race. Lately it has been at Sams' Club. And whatever doesn't get used goes in the tow truck.

We use the lowest octane we can find...

We do this because I have read lots of threads on this topic and it seems higher octane just produces too much extra heat...

------------------
    G. Brooke Carter
    Wheat Buckley Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    2003 Class Champion
    Calgary, Alberta

I did dyno testing of this. I removed tha tank pickup and ran several runs with different pump octanes.

No reason to run anything but 87.

I wish performance testing of old retreaded tires yielded the same results!

------------------
    Jake Gulick
    CarriageHouse Motorsports
    ITA 57 RX-7
    New England Region
    [email protected]

****Copied info****

****WIth the NA rotary, the highest octane you should use is US pump (AKI) 87, typically RON 91 outside the US, no matter how heavily your engine is modified. Octane in excess of any engine's actual requirement is always wasted. The issues of purity and additives in more expensive fuels are entirely separate issues. There's no reason not to want either in a NA rotary.

The rotary engine's high turbulence combustion chamber provides a very high resistance to detonation. Its duration of combustion is also longer, remembering that the rotors turn at 1/3 of the tachometer reading, and the slow burn* of high octane is undesirable in it. Pump 80 octane is more than sufficient for most of them. Best power and mileage is usually produced with the lowest available octane.

Many serious rotary racers bring their own low octane gasoline to tracks that supply only racing gasoline. From "How to Modify Your Mazda RX-7", by Dave Emanuel and Jim Downing, HP Books, 1987, ISBN 0-89586-383-9, p 47-8:****

Have Fun
    David

Thank guys, I won't mess with a good thing!
    Happy trails
    Steve