Thread: 1st gen- best year

Default 1st gen- best year

well as a winter project i thought i might prep a shell as my ita car's shell is getting a little long on the tooth. I have a 79 and an 82 sitting around. is there any inherant anvantage in one over the other in weight in chasis stiffness.
    dick

Dick, I've prepared/built several 1st gen RX7's for customers and so far haven't noticed any one year being any lighter than another. When it comes to dashboards the earlier ones are lighter, but only fractionally So build which ever chassis is straightest and has the least amount of rust. Hope this helps.

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

Dick, the 81 thru 83 have their chassi mount for the rear lower control rod approx 3/4 inch higher (more verticaly towards the axle center line) than the 84 & 85 models. Per say of other 1st gen drivers they handle better. I don't know the dimension reference for the 79 & 80's,

Have Fun
    David

I'd say the ultimate 1st gen is a composite of years. An early S model sunroof delete chassis and interior(dash) with 84/5 GSL rear 84/5 struts housings/brakes, 84/5 bumper assembly with 85 bumper cover, 79-82 oil cooler, etc....

Anyone know if the 79/80 models are any stiffer with the added braces in the main hoop area?

------------------
    Scott
    It's not what you build...
    it's how you build it

<A HREF="http://www.pfmracing.com" TARGET=_blank>
    www.pfmracing.com </A>

btt

Originally posted by Speed Raycer:

Anyone know if the 79/80 models are any stiffer with the added braces in the main hoop area?

They are stiffer (marginally at best) in street trim. Once you add a proper cage, though, it makes no difference and I know you guys can do the proper cage

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]