Thread: Brake calipers leaking

Default Brake calipers leaking

I track two 1st gen cars, and 3 out of 4 front calipers have started leaking after just a few events.

Is this a common problem? I'm not running brake ducts yet. Could excess heat cause this failure?

Thanks,
    Neil

Neil, were the calipers new & when ?

Were the calipers old & rebuilt & when ?

Were the calipers old shit ?

Is the leak comming from the piston o-ring through the piston cover ruber boot ?

Is the piston cover rubber boot soft as rubber should be or is it hard & cracky ?

If the piston cover rubber boot is NOT SOFT the piston o-ring is also most likely not soft also.

I have raced a 1st gen for 4 years approx 30 race dates plus some open track days & never had a leaking caliper. Started with original old shit that worked well & then installed new cailpers two years ago. Will rebuild the calipers this winter because the left front is starting to hang up & not release the disc. Have always had Mazda Comp brake ducts directing air to the center of the disc.

David
    CenDiv
    Spec-7 # 14

The first 2 were rebuilt ones that I rebuilt again. One of these started leaking. I rebuilt a 3rd time, and it leaked again.

Both the other two started leaking at the same time. These two calipers are old shit that came on the car when I bought it. The boots are "hard and cracky".

I was mainly wondering if I needed to make rebuilding the calipers part of my normal car prep. It doesn't sound like that's required.

Guess I'll be getting brake ducts sooner instead of later.

Thanks!

Next time you rebuild them check the pistons and piston bores for burr's or scratches. I always clean mine up with a brake hone (looks like a miniature cylinder hone). Good luck.

------------------
    Nico
    KCRaceware (816) 257-7305
    [email protected]

Hey guys, where do you get the rebuild kit? After 3 seasons, I have found my left front leaking. It was OK at the last race, but I took the wheels off about a month later, and the caliper is leaking around the piston..

------------------
    G. Brooke Carter
    Wheat Buckley Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    2003 Class Champion
    Calgary, Alberta

Brooke...Shouldn't you be off at the beach? (of course...just watching the waves...)

I have a magazine, but don't remember the name. They did have rebuild kits listed, and I have a rear caliper that is in need of a rebuild. I'll send you an email with Ph number and name once I find the magazine.

Enjoy the winter...We just had a dumping of snow two days ago...The first snow always hurts the most.

Allen,

I AM at the beach, in Spain....no snow !

No race car either, but thinking about next year already...

------------------
    G. Brooke Carter
    Wheat Buckley Racing
    # 10 Challenge Car
    2003 Class Champion
    Calgary, Alberta