Thread: Help with parking brake install on 90 GXL

Default Help with parking brake install on 90 GXL

OK, I realize you guys probably remove your parking brake for the race cars, but I'm just fishing for help.

I installed reman. rear calipers and am having trouble seating the parking brake caliper in its bracket on the driver side. The passenger side went on no problem.

The problem, as I see it, is that when I hook the end of the cable into the spring-loaded arm that engages the brake, I can't pull it back far enough to seat the cable. I undid the locking nuts as far as I could, but couldn't get enough slack in the cable.

Any ideas? Thx.

I am not exactly sure where the problem is coming from. I usually unbolt the bracket that the parking brake cable grommet sits in. Then there is plenty of play to get the T portion in the caliper.

I still have a parking brake

------------------
    Paul D'Angelo
    73 ITS CENDIV
    Indy Region
    www.iridiumracing.com

The adjuster might be completely tightened,loosten it up, replace the assembly and then readjust untill you can only pull up on the handle 3 to 5 clicks.

My 1st racecar had no parking brake, always a pain, if it is in working order and not dragging, a parking brake is great to have when your loading the car on the trailer or in the paddock.
    The whole parking brake assembly and cable weighs only a few pounds.

Have you ever used the parking brake before? Just wondering. One of mine is frozen stuck, I just left it disconnected. Pretty common on 2nd gen. Rx-7. Been meaning to put another one on. It is a pain when loading on the trailer sometimes.

Jack

[This message has been edited by jrx13 (edited June 25, 2003).]